Chapter 4

"-ed! R-d!'
"RED!"
He jolted upwards, eyes blowing wide, and instinctively kicked the boy in front of him, immediately cursing himself for the action.

Ant didn't even pay attention to the impact, still shaking Red vigorously. Soon enough, Red became aware of the sounds of marching accompanied by the shouts of orders only used between generals and their soldiers.

"Holy--" Red mumbled as he scrambled for his bag that had been ripped off his back during his previous night's slumber.
"Go!" Ant hissed, tail swishing behind him with anxiety, pupils dilated into mere slits in a pool of turquoise.

By the time Red had managed to scramble to his feet, the guards were too close for the boy to possibly be able to outrun them, and as a result, he had clambered into the Wisteria, shaking as he tried to stay out of sight.

"Ant," a heavy voice echoed, approaching Ant fast, "Have you seen anyone on our land lately? We have reason to suspect that there might be a trespasser."
Both boys' hearts stopped.
"No father, I have no clue of whom this trespasser may be."
Ant managed to keep his voice steady enough, convincing.

As they moved on, Red fell out of the tree ungracefully, landing on his back.
Ant sighed, "We gotta get you outta here!"
"O-okay," Red mumbled.
Ant rushed Red to the wall separating the two kingdoms, and the twos legs finally gave out.

"You okay?" Ant panted.
"Y-yeah..."
They both let out soft giggles like teenage girls and grinned at each other.
Ant sighed and laid his head on the others shoulder, making Red blush slightly even tho Ant didn't seem to be having the same thought.

"E-eh?" Red whispered.
"Hmmm?" Ant hummed, blinking up at the taller, eyes opening ever so slight.
Ant suddenly realized the thoughts Red was having and laughed again.

"Awww," Ant cooed, "Is the Prince Red of the Velvet Kingdom embarrassed?"
"I am not!"
"Should we continue meeting?" Ant thought out loud, "My father is becoming more and more concerned as the days go on."

Ant paused and looked up at Red, "Are your parents?"
Red shrugged, "No, they don't care much about me."
Ant's eyes softened, "I'm so sorry..."
"Not your fault," is the only response Red gave as he looked down onto his lap with saddened emerald eyes.

"I think we should keep meeting. I want to keep seeing you." Red made eye contact with Ant as he said the last part, making him blush bright red.
Red looked up and gasped in horror.
"Shit! The guards check on us in the morning, they'll know I'm gone! I'm so sorry, I gotta go!"
"B-bye?"

Ant sounded confused, but made sense of the words regardless, sighing as he went back to his own kingdom.