Chapter 40

Someone tell me how I forgot about this book 💀

Adbeel tapped his throne impatiently.
"Where is Eret?" He spat to the guard beside his throne, "I want my son in chains by tonight."
The guard kept his gaze straight ahead, "We do not know, Your Majesty. Eret set off with Commander Liz and a number of other guards a few hours ago to search."

Adbeel scoffed and leaned back in the well-cushioned throne. "Well he better get here before dusk, or Red will not be the only one the block meets tonight."

As of on que, the door flew open without so much as a call from the other side. Adbeel sputtered.
"What is the meaning of this disrespect!" The Velvet King cried, "I'll-."

"Your Majesty," interrupted an accented voice. Eret seemed disheveled, his souless eyes wild and hair tousled. He grinned up at his king.
"We have him."

Then Adbeel returned the grin. Eret let out a short call, and several other guards followed the command, dragging in a thrashing boy in peasants clothing.
"Down!" Commands one of the guards, giving him a hard shove between the shoulder blades.

Red's knees hit the floor with a hard thunk, two more guards rushing to press down on his shoulders as another two wretch back the chains attached to his wrists, causing Red to let out a cry of pain- Adbeel wished he could bottle it, and hear it forever. He grinned.

"Well, if it isn't my own son, come to pay the price?" Adbeel crooned, pleasure rolling through him at the boys wide eyes.
"I have done nothing to harm you," the boy protested.

Adbeel scowled. "You ran off to frolic with one of those Frost Kingdom scum, you conspired against me, and you dare say you have done nothing to harm me?"

"You have harmed me more."
Red's voice was soft, pitiful. Adbeel remembered when Red was a useless child, when he spoke with the voice of a king, loud and true, even when he had no right to speak at all. Now it was gone, his son's fire doused. Adbeel drew his sword from it's spot at his hip.

Red stiffened, then began to tremble when Adbeel pressed the sword under his chin, lifting the disgraced princes terrified eyes to him. He pressed the tip against Red's throat.

"I have half a mind to kill you right here," Adbeel hissed. "But what fun would there be in that? What satisfaction would I get? No. I can wait till tomorrow to see you die."

"My mother," Red said quickly. His fierce emerald eyes meeting Adbeel's identical ones, "Does my mother have any clue what's to happen to me?"

Adbeel grinned wider, as though that was possible.
"If you must know, no, your mother has not a clue what your fate will be. We wouldn't want my queen running off to help your little friends again, hm?"

Red looked as though he had been hit by a train. Adbeel continued to smile ear to ear.
"How did you-."
"Did you truly think I would not know?"

He could feel Eret's terror. Another wave of pleasure ran through him. Adbeel swiped the blade away, leaving a thin red line across Red's neck.

"Commander Liz, take my son to the dungeon," Adbeel said slowly, "The rest of you, leave. Eret and Twi, remain here."
The Commander appeared terrified, understandably enough. She disappeared through the massive doors, Red trailed behind her as he wailed and struggled. The rest followed.

"Eret," the Velvet King said, voice scathing, "I didn't want to believe it at first, but it seems I've been betrayed yet again. And by you, of all people."

Eret's eyes were wide. "Your Majesty, I did no such-."
Adbeel drew the sword again. "Save your lies. You will not deceive me again. Seize him, and Twi while you're at it."

The guards beside his throne rushed forward at once, one wrapping a hand around Eret and shoving him to the floor, providing an opening to cuff the former guard.

Twi thrashed and screamed, but the guard was relentless as he wrestled her to the ground and cuffed her as well.

"Take them to the dungeon," Adbeel said, "Everyone will suffer for their actions. Prepare the block and the gallows. My son is to be executed at dusk."

"You can't-," Twi made an attempt to find her voice, but it was shaky.
"I already have," Adbeel purred, cutting her off, "You've dug your grave, it's time to lie in it."

----------

Red was stiff as they led him to the block. Another execution awaited him, this time at the hands of his own people. His own father, and this time by a blade.

Would it be quick? Painless? Would he know when the sword was coming, or would he die without seeing his fate coming? All his thoughts were drowned out as Red was forced to his knees before the block.

The noise of the crowd was deafening. It was like a fuzzy static playing in the background of his mind. Some of the voices jeered, others screamed with horror. Some wished to see him dead, others pleading for his release.

Red felt weak, his body limp. He felt a numb terror spread through him, one that he hadn't felt since his last execution attempt. Red's heart raced rapidly. He had no way out. No one was coming to help him.

He could see the gallows from where he was. Red spotted Twi thrashing before them, Commander Liz standing at her sisters side, petrified.

Where are you? You need to help us. Twi wasn't meant to die. Please come soon.

Red felt the cold steel against the back of his neck, heard the whistle as it tore through the air. It didn't fall. A flash of color passed through the air.

Red felt the wind as the sword came down. Twi and Liz were already in motion.