Chapter 8

They met again today, the two of them.
They laughed as if nothing had happened, explaining and going back to loving--no, just caring, for each other.

Ant laughed at some dumb joke that Red had made.
"So...Red?"
Ant wanted to tell him-- he really did. But he couldn't, every time he got close he chickened out.

"Yeah?"
"N-nothing."
There it was again, the fuzzy feeling in Red's chest, thinking-- no, hoping, Ant would say something. Say the thing Red wanted to hear. Why did he want to hear it tho? He didn't care, he didn't love Ant. Even if he did, Red's positive Ant would never love him back. Too good, too kind for Red.

Ant felt his heart in his throat. He had to come to terms with what he was feeling for Red. Ant had eventually come to terms with the fact that he had fallen in love with Red. Why Red tho? Why his kingdoms enemy?
Well, you can't stop love, he supposes. Even if it was with someone Ant should consider an enemy.

Red still didn't want to except it, he didn't love Ant, did he? What did it matter, all the warmth in his stomach? That warmth in his cheeks when Ant giggled didn't really mean anything.
Why does Red want to put a hand on Ant's own? Why did he feel the near irresistible urge to grab and pull the boy close?

As Ant is speaking, Red doesn't really pay attention to what he's saying. Red is transfixed on that beautiful face-- those shining teeth and big eyes. Red sucked in a breath and lets his body act on instinct.
A hand reaches for Ant's, and before he knows it, Red's pulling Ant close to his chest.

Ant stuttered and blushed, looking up at Red with confused eyes.
"R-red?" He whimpered, pink blush growing on his cheeks. Red huffed and only pulled Ant closer, looking down to the side.
"Jus' shut up," Red snapped, face red with embarrassment as he realized what he'd just done.

Ant stuttered, but didn't fight back. The shorter simply relaxed his muscles and gave in, laying his face agaisnt Red's chest.
Red sighed contently and held on tight. The two simply stayed there for the next hour or so, not a care in the world as they hugged each other tight.

Unfortunately for the two, they had to go their separate ways eventually.
Both left, Red left feeling confused and angry at himself for what he'd done.

Ant was sitting in his room now, shaking and blushing as he continously replayed the events of their latest meeting over and over. Red had pulled him and held him close-- something Ant had been longing for since he found how much he loved the other prince.

Ant was positive he loved Red, but at the same time he was confused on how Red felt towards him. The previous actions from Red seemed to be a conformation to Ant that the other felt the same way, he hoped.

Red paced in his room, anxiety etched into his face as he realized what he had done and exactly what it meant. He had listened to his instinct and pulled Ant in, and he didn't let go.
Red knew he could've just pushed Ant away and easily played it off, but he hadn't. He had just hugged him tighter as embarrassment and shame alike grew in his chest.

Gods, why had he done that? Red had held onto his perceived enemy for dear life and acted as if he genuinely cared for him, which he didn't. Wait, did he care for Ant?
Red began to hyperventilate.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, this couldn't be happening. He couldn't be falling in love with the prince of the other kingdom. No, no, no.
But Red knew he had to face the truth eventually. Eventually, just not now.

So, Red resolves to pass out, not quite ready to accept what he's feeling even tho he knew deep down what he was so avidly denying was true.