Chapter 9

Red didn't know what had driven him to do something so strange and spontaneous, and he would most likely never know.
The young prince had appeared at the Wisteria he always met Ant at and sat down, just like normal, tho something felt ever so slightly off.

It wasn't a bad feeling, but it felt strange. An itching urge to do something- what was that something? Red didn't know. A cold breeze of blossoms and seeds went through the air, a reminder of the coming winter months.
The urge hit Red like a train, and tho he didn't quite know why, he had given in an touched a certain, large, root of the ancient Wisteria tree.

Suddenly memories that weren't even his flooded through Red's mind and his eyes blew wide, gasping in a rattling breath as he stumbled back onto his back, hands scraping on the sharp rocks on the ground.

Two people that looked shockingly like the current two princes mingled peacefully under the exact Wisteria they had been meeting under, dressed in clothing from centuries ago. They laughed and smiled without a care in the world, despite the fact that they were obviously from two different kingdoms.

Autumn leaves fell around the couple in a flurry of red, orange, and yellow, the land covered in said leaves and the trees baren. It was beautiful. A union between kingdoms.

The two fell to the ground and giggled like children, before a loud boom rang out across the valley and the joy quickly dispersed.
They ran-- the two princes ran to their separate sides, begging for it all to stop. It didn't stop, the fighting counted for what seemed like forever.

Now it was the middle of the night-- a cat hybrid hunched over a lifeless body as sobs wracked his body violently, the Wisteria blown to nothing more than a pathetic stump stood behind them, a painful show of how their love had shattered.

Now it was just the hybrid, standing at a small mound of dirt, orchid clutched in his hands. He bent down and placed the orchid on the moud of dirt, tears silently sliding down his cheeks.
The boy walked to where the Wisteria had used to stand, and planted a seed there, whispering a prayer before returning to the mound.

The cat hybrid whimpered and fell onto the mound, a scream of pain and hatred echoing through the valley as he fell completely limp.

Red whimpered and curled in on himself, realizing how closely the two represented Ant and Red. No, that couldn't be true, couldn't it? This couldn't be-- it couldn't be, it wasn't possible.
It wasn't possible for them to be the same people in those memories. This couldn't be the same Wisteria that boy had planted.

Wait, what were those?
Two subtle mounds of dirt that had previously gone completely unnoticed by the two stood side by side.
A hand slapped over Red's mouth, and he didn't even realize when Ant approached from the shadows.

"Red?" A soft voice came, and the prince looked over at him as he shook.
"A-ant!"
Ant looked confused and startled by the yell, but came to sit beside Red regardless.

"T-the root! T-touch the root!" Red babbles.
Still confused, Ant placed a hand on the same root and choked on his air and quickly jerked his hand away.

"Please tell me you saw it too!" Red whimpered, desperate to know he's not crazy.
Ant slowly nodded, coming to an understanding of what this meant.
"Are we...are we...?"
"I think so."

The two princes shivered, and Ant's ears flattened to the back of his head.
"I-if that happened to them..." Ant looked up at Red with glossy eyes, and he didn't have to finish the sentence before the other prince is holding him tight.

"I think so..."
"I don't wanna die!" Ant cried out, tears flowing freely from his eyes.
Red hushed him gently, rocking the boy. Red finally came to terms with himself then, and he pulled Ant away to plant a passionate kiss on the lips.

Ant whimpered, but kissed back with the same energy. They just sat there for a while, lips pressed together, slotting perfectly like two puzzle peices. Like it was meant to be.
They pulled away eventually and gasped for air, having not breathed for the time they'd been kissing.

"Ant...?" Red tries, hoping he didn't make the other prince uncomfortable with the kiss.
"Yes?"
"I love you."
"I love you too."

Two yells rang out at the same time.
"ANT!"
"RED!"
The two princes jumped apart and ran their separate ways, both panting as they met their fathers.

The two princes went back to their respectful castels that night with a new understanding of their world and what their love truly meant.