Chapter 19

For some time now Dream had felt a pang of anger and hatred towards himself. How could he? He was a traitor. He went behind the kings back, the king man that had rescued and raised him since he was a baby.
Is this how Dream was meant to repay the man's kindness? He felt sick.

Dream desperately needed someone to let all this out too, someone he could trust.
Stress had been building up over time, fulfilling the kings orders and organizing patrols over the entire kingdom at the same time.

He couldn't help but feel inferior to Bad- the former commander before Dream. Bad had been a much better leader and far more organized in his planning. If only Dream could ask him and the old second-in-command, Skeppy, for some advice-.

No. He could and he would've- if it weren't for how happy the two seemed to finally have such a heavy burden lifted from their shoulders.
They'd done their job for years, and they'd done it well. They were good soldiers- but their time in that position was up, and the two now enjoyed a cozy tower to themselves along with their retirement.

Sapnap was also out of the question, who was stressed enough himself. With the pressure of fulfilling his father's role as second-in-command, along with trying to keep up with all the orders the king was giving him at once due to the raging war going on at the time.

Karl wasn't exactly an option either. Like Sapnap and Dream, he had only recently been promoted into a guard position himself, and was no doubt hard at work with his own duties. There was no need for Dream to worry him with his own troubles.

It was tempting for Dream to let it all out to Sapnap, and he did know about George, but then there was the factor how much stress it would cause his friend.
When they were teens, Sapnap and Dream had gone against what they'd been told and ran off to explore alone.
That was when they'd met George- and when Dream had first felt the sparks of love.

Time had passed until they'd also met Quackity- Sapnap had insisted on bringing along Karl once and he'd joined them.
Quackity had just so happened to gone exploring himself that day, and wound up coming face-to-face with them.

Sapnap and Karl had practically fallen head-over-heals with Quackity, and the two quickly began to feel the same love towards each other as well.
Sapnap, Karl, and Quackity later found their own special spot to meet up on their own, while Dream and George kept going to the same spot.

Then the day came where Dream, Sapnap, and Karl had been promoted to guard positions. The new responsibilities took up more and more of their time until they simply didn't have any more free time.
Then the meetings stopped all together- but Dream somehow found the time to give George the bad news. Quackity, however, wasn't so lucky.

In times like these, when Dream had no work to do and no one to speak with, he'd try and remember.
There were only slight flashing images- how old had he been when he'd been found? The king had told him around three or so?

If Dream strained long enough, he could see two other boys and a woman. Only on rare occasions could he see the woman clearly, and he barley remember her appearance sometimes.
A sheep hybrid, he thought. White hair? That felt right. Her eyes- he didn't remember now.

Them the two boys- blondes, one dressed in a purple outfit, the older in a white hoodie. The younger one was so small- must've only been a baby.
Dream could vaguely remember being held by someone- the woman, he guessed, and he could feel the thumping as she ran.

But from what? What was she running from? Dream could sometimes see...no, it couldn't be. It could've been the king of the Velvet Kingdom, could it? Then again, Dream wouldn't put attacking someplace past the tyrant.

But why that place? Where did Dream even come from- where did the the attack that Dream had been as a child? And why? Had the people there done something to anger the king?

On second thought, should he also someone about it? Maybe Bad knew something about it- the man had always been known to be trustworthy and always kept secrets- that's why Sapnap told Sapnap him about Quackity, someone he would've been in deep trouble for seeing if he'd been caught.

All these thoughts ran through Dream's mind as he finsihed taking off his armor and plopping down onto the bed.
The moment of relaxation only lasted a moment before his thoughts were interrupted once again.

A knock on his door brought Dream from his fantacy of the past and back into the present. "Come in!" The man called, getting up to greet the person at the door.
"Oh, hey Sapnap."

Sapnap stood in front of Dream, hands gripping his elbows as he glanced downwards at the ground.
"Dream," he mumbled, "I need to ask you about something."
Dream felt concern wash over him, his friend sounding almost scared, it made him worry immensely.

"Come in, what's wrong?" Dream prompted gently, placing a hand on his best friend shoulder to lead him over to sit on the bed next to each other.
"Well...did anything happen with you? Like, did the prince ask about George?"

Dream choked up a bit, tensing up before managing to peice together a response.
"Well, not the prince. However, do you remember when George came to negotiate a trade route with the king?"

Sapnap furrowed his eyebrow, "Yes, I remember. Did anything happen during that time?"
Dream hesitated for a moment before deciding it was best to be honest with his friend.
"Yes, George went to find a bathroom but didn't come back after a while. The king sent me to find him and-"

"Calm down," Sapnap spoke softly, noticing his his friends chest rose faster, his voice becoming breathier and nearly babbling his words.
"Listen, breath, tell me what happened."

Dream took a deep breath in, before continuing. Far more calmly, this time.
"Well, when I found George, he told me to tell Prince Ant something. He told me to- no, he ordered me to tell the prince to meet Prince Red of the Velvet Kingdom under their Wisteria."

"Their Wisteria?" Sapnap asked, rather shocked.
The shorter glanced down into his lap, thinking before looking back to his friend.
"Maybe that has something to do with what he asked me and Karl!"

"He asked you and Karl something?"
Sapnap nodded, "Yes. He somehow found out about Quackity- he did also say he needed the information so someone he...loved...could pass it onto Quackity and could gain and alliance with him. He didn't tell me anything else."

"That's strange," Dream mumbled, mauling over the new information in his head and trying to process it.
"Should we confront him about it?" Sapnap inquired.
Dream shrugged, "Maybe. But not tonight, the prince is asleep by now. Don't you have a shift?"

"Oh, right, I need to go meet Karl for our shift. Should we ask the prince tomorrow?"
Dream nodded in response, Sapnap standing up and excusing himself.
Dream layed back on the bed, and continued to think about the memories.