Chapter 30

Eret took a deep breath, heart hammering. Was she really about to do this?
Was she really about the betray the king that had brought her in?

He was a liar. He was evil. Eret knew that. However, she just couldn't wrap her head about it.
Even as she opened the cell ever so quietly.
"Philza." She hissed.

The avian stirred, eyes glazed over.
"E-eret...? What-."
"Shhhh," Eret hushed, "I'm getting you out. Shut up and follow me."

Eret took Phil by one of his chains, his wings tied down sloppily but convincingly enough so no one would question.
"The kings at the other side of the kingdom," Eret explained, "You have Tommy and Red to thank for that."

Phil looked up at him, eyes wide.
"What...? Tommy's involved in this? No...no...I wanted him to stay out of this," Phil sighed, "He's just a kid."

"He insisted," Eret explained, "He wanted to help you. Refused to stay out of it."
Phil smiled and shook his head.
"Sounds like his mother."

-----------

"I want my son found." The king barked, guards surrounding him on all sides.
Eret crouched in the bushes behind the man, praying he wouldn't bother to look there.

Phil was leaning on his shoulder, his wounds making him weak combined with the bodily stress of walking around with his wings free for the first time in God knows how long.

"Shhh," Eret hissed, wrapping an arm around the older man to keep him steady, "The king hasn't noticed. Come on, Tommy, Ant, Quackity, and probably some others are waiting at the border. We need to move fast if we're gonna beat him there."

They crept through the overgrowth, every little noise feeling far too loud even though the king didn't even realize there was someone hiding just a few feet from him.

After what felt like an eternity, the two reached the border between the Nevadas and Velvet kingdoms.
As promised, Red, Ant, and Quackity were waiting there.

"Eret!" Red called, sprinting up to him, "Thank God you're okay! We thought the king would've found you."
Eret shook her head, smiling.
"No. The king was too occupied to notice. Tommy did a good job."

Red smirked. "Duh. He grew up with me. I rubbed off on him."
Ant moved up beside his boyfriend a pat on the shoulder.
"Red, come on, let's get Philza to the Frost Kingdom."

Red wrapped an arm around Ant's waist, kissing him on the cheek briefly.
"Yep. Let's go," he said, turning back to Phil, "Can he walk on his own?"
Eret shook their head. "Hardly."

"That sounds right," Quackity muttered, "He's been locked away for a while. Not to mention those injuries."
Ant cringed at the sight of the wounds.
"Yeah, those do look pretty bad," Red agreed.

"We'll be able to give him proper care at the castle," Ant said, nudging his lover in the side, "Which is why we need to go."
Eret nodded, helping Phil to lean on Red's shoulder instead.

"Good luck," Eret said softly, unsure, "Take the king down."
"We will," Red said firmly, his voice filled with confidence.
Eret nodded and turned away.

As she was walking away, she spared a glance back over her shoulder.
"And no pressure," they said, voice giving away whatever they were going to do would have the opposite effect, "But the fate of the kingdom is on your shoulders."

"That's reassuring," Quackity rolled his eyes.
Eret chuckled under his breath for a moment before disappearing into the brush.
"Let's get going."

-----------

Phil was limping, moving slowly through the flabbergasted town on Ant's shoulder, whispers following them everywhere.

"King Philza?"
"He's dead though?"
"Is he alive!?"
"Was the Velvet king lying?"
"Wouldn't put it past him."

The Frost king stood at the gates, flinching invisibly at the sight of the broken and fallen king.
"King Philza?" He prompted, worry lacing his voice.

Phil nodded, "Yes sir. I-I'm afraid I'm not much of a king any longer."
The man shook his head, moving to lean Phil on his shoulder.

"You're the rightful king, my friend," the king said softly, "And for that, you are a king in the sights of my kingdom. I will not settle for you to be treated any less than such."

"Y-you're too kind," Phil said hoarsely, voice cracking.
"Do not mistake kindness for what I am obligated to go through with. Follow me."

-----------

Phil laid in the bed of the guest room, clean for the first time in God's know how long.
Quackity had stayed back at his kingdom, just to be sure the Velvet Kingdom didn't find anything.

Red was resting in Ant's room, as per the prince's request. Ant had noticed his lover looking more sickly and getting thinner lately.
It was due to the stress, he had been getting less sleep and he had been eating less.

Ant and his father looked at the recovering king, silent until the prince spoke.
"Father," Ant started, "May I inquire something?"
The king looked to his son, raising a brow.
"You may?"

"What did you mean, when you told Philza not to mistake kindness for what you were obligated to do?" Ant questioned.
"Well, my son," the king sighed, "A king has a duty to their people. Right now, my duty is to keep them safe and end this war. That's why I'm keeping Philza and Red safe."

Ant blinked up at his father, nodding along.
"I see, father."
His father let a soft smile spread across his face, wrapping a hand around his son's shoulder.

"I'm glad to hear you understand," the king said, "I knew you would. You'll make a fine king some day."
Ant smiled, leaning into his father's touch.
"Thank you, father. I'm going to try my best."

The king turned to the boy, hands on either of his shoulders, both still smiling.
"You're doing an outstanding job. You've made me so proud, Ant. I couldn't ask for a better son to succeed me."

Ant let his smile spread wider, his father locking him in a tight hug, which he reciprocated.
"Thank you, father."
"Head off to sleep, son. You've worked too hard recently."

Ant nodded.
"Of course, father," he said as he turned away.
The king smiled at his son.