26

Taehyung and Jimin charged each other, and Jin jumped away from between them rolling to the edge of the deck. Hosoek had his bow aimed at them but he didn't shoot afraid to hurt them. He looked at them dazed and horrified, as the boys crossed swords, gold against bronze.

Sparks flew. Their blades blurred—strike and parry—and the deck trembled. The first exchange took only a second, but he couldn't believe the speed of their sword fighting.

"Stop it!" Jin yelled. His charm-speak getting hold of his voice.

For a moment, Taehyung heeded his voice. His golden eyes turned toward Jin, and Jimin charged, slamming his blade into Taehyung. Thank the gods, Jimin turned his sword—maybe on purpose, maybe accidentally—so the flat of it hit Taehyung's chest; but the impact was still enough to knock Taehyung off his feet.

"Jimin!" Jin yelled. "Taehyung's your friend. Drop your weapon!"

Jimin's sword arm dipped. Jin might have been able to bring him under control, but unfortunately Taehyung got to his feet. Taehyung roared. A bolt of lightning arced out of the clear blue sky. It ricocheted off his sword and blasted Jimin off his feet.

Taehyung charged at Jimin, who was now on his back, his clothes smoking from the lightning blast.

"No!" Jin screamed. "Taehyung, stop!"

He froze, his sword six inches from Jimin's face. Taehyung turned, the gold light in his eyes flickering uncertainly. "I cannot stop. One must die."

Something about that voice...it wasn't Gaea, he realised. It wasn't Taehyung. Whoever it was spoke haltingly, as if English was its second language. Jin must have noticed the same. "Who are you?" Jin demanded.

Taehyung's mouth twisted in a gruesome smile. "We are the eidolons. We will live again."

"Eidolons... ?" Namjoon whispered confused. He didn't seems familiar with that term.

"They're—they're some sort of ghost" he said.

"He must die." Taehyung turned his attention back to Jimin, but Jimin had recovered more than either of them realized. He swept out his leg and knocked Taehyung off his feet. His head hit the deck with a nauseating conk. Jimin rose.

"Stop it!" Hosoek screamed along with Jin. but there was no charmspeak in Jin's voice. He was shouting in sheer desperation.

Jimin raised Riptide over Taehyung's chest. Panic rise in his throat. Jin poured all of his anger into his voice.

"Eidolon, stop." Jimin froze. "Face me," Jin ordered.

The son of the sea god turned. His eyes were gold instead of green, his face pale and cruel, not at all like Jimin's.

"The Hades' child have not chosen," Jimin said. "So this one will die."

"You're a spirit from the Underworld," Jin guessed. "You're possessing Jimin Park. Is that it?"

Jimin sneered. "I will live again in this body. The Earth Mother has promised. I will go where I please, control whom I wish." The thing in Jimin 's form laughed without humor. "You can trust no one." Taehyung still wasn't moving.

Behind Jimin, Yoongi moved grabbing the hilt of his sword and Jimin began to turn toward the sound.

"Ignore it!" Jin yelped. "Look at me."

Jimin obeyed. "You cannot stop me. I will kill Taehyung Kim."

"You won't kill him," Jin ordered. But he wasn't looking at Jimin. Jin locked eyes with Yoongi, "You will knock him out."