Chapter 16

𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡

- 𝖂𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖉 𝕹𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖘 -

"𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐞, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮."

  Amidst the thick blankets of the purest white snow, all blood and the past crimes had been swept by the howling winds. The ferocious blizzards strengthen the dry and hard ice that caged the sleeping maiden shrouded by her own dreams in her own different world.

  The winds protected the majestic ice sculpture that lies under the veil of a gigantic Anemo sphere, conjured by the Anemo Archon so it could withstand the inevitable ravages of time. Threads of turquoise glow danced in the air, as the silence has now been filled by a thriving melody.

  A sad melody, like any other lonely child would sing.

  Barbatos could still hear the songs and tales chanted by the winds when he returned to this land from Celestia. The heroes of the saga of freedom had died throughout the passing years, each one of them succeeded by the existing children of their generation. His friends, allies and comrades, befell by their old age or their surviving traditions.

  Each one of them, at least before death, used to visit this place to fill the lonely silence of their Lady General. Some would pay their respects, chant their gratitude, offer flowers, or even plant seeds in her sacred gardens. But one particular moment that greatly brought ease in Barbatos' troubled mind, is the reason behind his red-haired warrior's disappearance.

  The winds will always remember the words he left before he departs from his beloved land of freedom.

  As he trudged through the thick snow, he arrives at the familiar face he often visits. With a bouquet of cecilias in his hand, he gently placed them on the cold snow. His gaze lingered on the bare figure of Servias, noting from her sleeping visage to the curves of her body.

  Roughly twenty years have passed since the winds of resistance took a hold of the freedom they waged war with. Yet despite the passing years, not a single detail of her body has changed. Perhaps the ice may well have preserved her body, but some slight changes were notable in the eyes of those who don't appreciate her beauty.

  Her hair has turned white, along with the fox-ears that fades to the colour of the darkest nights, noted from the tip. Her nine tails have scattered in a motion of stillness, she looks like a magical being from the sight of him. The dried blood was still left uncleaned on her flesh, they coated her sharp nails and her cheeks.

  "Hello, my lady. I have returned," he greeted the silence, and he also was responded by the silence. "This may be my last visit. Though it pains me to leave without hearing your voice, I can only pray you will wake up soon."

  Warm winds blew towards him, his garments flowing with them in the process. The melancholy in his eyes said the words even Barbatos could not say.

  "Your friend, the bard... he died in the name of freedom... and for your justice. Such a heroic deed shall not be forgotten," he sighs. "But if you happen to wake up soon, how are we supposed to explain things to you? We only wish to see your smile as you gaze over the victory we brought you. But how can I face you once you've learned the cost we had exchanged for this fertile land?"

  He fell to his knees, head bowing low as he contemplates his life.

  "I once harboured an untold affection towards you. But in the end, I wasn't able to tell you about it." He raised his head to look at her with pleading eyes. "Of all the losses I have suffered, you are the most painful. I have gotten myself a wife, a son and a daughter. I still remember the promise you made when we first met. You needn't bother yourself and look after them, should you wake up soon. I have trained them well so they could protect themselves from harm."