Chapter 21 Disappointment

The finals were up.

Karma's day started well. She didn't have to climb up the walls of the building to get into her class (you see, sometimes she came too late and the gates have already been closed), she had found a pen on the floor, which meant she didn't have to steal Asano's, and she had actually slept. Like really. Karma. Slept. She didn't play games until four a.m., she didn't have to study on the last minute – she was as prepared as never before.

Asano wasn't any different. His mind was clear and alert, he even managed to go through all the subjects in the morning (having woken up at about six a.m.). But what truly motivated him was the sight of his rival sitting on her seat – on time – and smirking as if the whole world belonged to her. It was annoying, really, but at some point he grew so used to it that it became something of a reassurance that – among those simpletons he called classmates, he wasn't alone. And that life might not be so boring with her.

"Ready to get your ass kicked?" the redhead asked as soon as she noticed the boy.

"I'd be more concerned about you, Karma" the latter replied with the same obnoxious arrogancy, smirking confidently.

And even a blind person would see the flames of fighting spirit around those two students, the dangerous aura slashing through the air, yet none of them backing down. It wasn't a new thing, honestly, but it was a whole different level.

Half past two meant the end of exams and although both Karma and Asano were convinced they aced them, they felt like jumping out from the window given the opportunity.

Because not only did they play for perfect score, but also for the perfect time. For each exam, these students were given one hour, but these two? No. They were on a race.

What was even funnier – their pace was absolutely the same.

Literature – 46 minutes

Science – 44 minutes

Home Ecs – 38 minutes

English – 39 minutes.

Math – 40 minutes and a table split in two, because the soulmates were so frustrated with the ridiculous coincidence of their speed that they slammed the papersheets on the table. And with the combined strenght of those two, the poor piece of furniture stood no chance.

Now came the hardest part.

Waiting for the results.

[Three days later]

It has been three days and the tension between them grew even more unbearable. Thankfully though, today should be the end of it. At about seven p.m. The ranking list would be online and yes, the school had its own website where news were posted for everyone to see – it saved paper and time.

That didn't change the fact that the powerhouses of class 1-A were on a rampage. During the lessons, it was competitive stares, during breaks full blown wars. And while they were only students, not even the teachers could do anything about such intense rivalry. It wasn't even worth mentioning that their classmates were shivering in both fear and excitement every while.

Unfortunately, their homeroom teacher – Asano Gakuho, who would have also been the only one capable of taming them, wasn't present as he had another important matter out of the town.