chapter 16 ✧ magic carpet ride ✧

Dec 31

Jae finished his last interview for the day and immediately switched on the phone from his bag to check his messages. He practically bee-lined to the van to return home and brushed off lunch with his team. The only thing on his mind was to get home and call Jungwoo.

Even though they've been speaking on the phone almost every day Jungwoo's stomach ached due to nervousness. It was as if this day would make or break him. It was the official day to finally reveal his feelings to his crush. Well could he still call him a crush? He was pretty sure he had now fallen for Jaehyun.

However, if not for his cousin, Jungwoo wouldn't have mustered the confidence to really go through with it all. Jaemin gave him that final push and caught him before he backed out. He told him that if he didn't reveal his feelings, he would become his longtime friend forever. So even though they've gotten really close, Jungwoo was willing to make the sacrifice for his aching heart.

When he finally received the phone call that afternoon to meet with Jaehyun he requested to meet directly at the condo rather than wait for a car to retrieve him. Jaemin was pressed about Jungwoo's decision and stated that he should meet him over dinner but he was not interested in formalities. He couldn't wait to see his face for a second longer!

***

Jungwoo was so amazed at Jaehyun's place. He practically ran barefoot throughout the entire condo before even acknowledging the one person he swore to have missed dearly. But in such a superb place (the same place he'd seen briefly in one of Jaehyun's vlogs) he couldn't contain his excitement. Jaehyun chased after him and caught him by the waist but Jungwoo managed to break free after feeling butterflies. He finally greeted the dazzling man,  "I'm so happy to see you again Jeong Jaehyun!"

"Me too", Jaehyun parroted while trying to hide his excitement. "I have something to show you." Moments later they entered the piano room where he asked Woo to sit beside him on the padded bench. He then began speaking gently,  "Because you haven't been able to listen to my music, I will sing for you." 

Jungwoo remembered mentioning that to Jaehyun about a week ago and wanted to explain himself but Jae shook his head in full understanding and immediately fixed his hands onto the keys. He then jumped into a beautiful melody with words similar to a poem:

'When the snow falls, i always think of you

that's when i realized that you fully had my heart

how could my last goodbye be the last...

without you i wandered in darkness. but you were my light all along

even if i'm late, I want to return back to you where i felt warm

i'm coming home...'

With the finishing note Jungwoo was already tearing up because he felt guilty for ever abandoning that beautiful voice.

This made Jaehyun immediately take him into his arms. "Don't cry,'' he laughed nervously. "Did I make you cry?" He patted the sulking boy on his back, "Maybe I'll make an exciting song next time."

Jungwoo lifted his body, "no I loved it..." he said in objection. He then gathered his composure to explain his apathy.
"I became afraid to listen to your voice because any day you could disappear."

"Aww.." Jae said while opening his arms wide for Jungwoo to fall back into them. For a while, both sat silently like that, just thinking about how nice it was to finally embrace one another.