chapter 13 ✧ change of heart ✧

"Here we go!" Taeyong cheered while spreading the snacks onto the table. They enjoyed the same things so Jaehyun reached for his tea to allow the greedy monster to choose first.

"So..." Taeyong exhaled as if he had to walk on eggshells while approaching the topic. "Remember the kid from the other night?"

"What kid?" Jaehyun feigned. Even with a small innuendo like that, he knew exactly who he was referring to.

"Uwuuu" Tae teased. He secretly watched for a reaction as he spoke.

"Of course I remember him."

Tae licked his ice cream cone reflectively. "So did he get home safe? Did you take him?"

"His friend retrieved him."

"His friend? Did you verify?"

Jae took a sip of his hot tea as if it was nothing and held the cup like a glass of wine, "He seemed to know him."

Taeyong stopped mid lick, "He seemed to know him? How do you know it wasn't a crazy ex or something. Oh my god Jae. I thought you cared more about your fans..." by this point he was going off on a crazy tangent as if he was reading a crime synopsis, "He probably took him to some cabin in the woods...he's probably six feet under!"

At this point, Jaehyun diverted his attention from the window. "Do you really think I didn't check his ID," <the security also checked before Jaemin entered the building> "The address on both of their ID's match. They're relatives." He was going along with Taeyong's rhetorical questioning but now it was bothersome. It was obvious he was trying to be annoying.

***

As Woo's shift was nearing to an end, Taeyong had to think of a way to dip out without being obvious.

"Well..." he exclaimed while proceeding into an unnatural stretch. "I have to go."

Jaehyun's natural reaction was to jerk his head. "Where? We kinda came together," at this point he was ready to go back to the condo and sleep.

"Oh did we?" Taeyong replied sheepishly. He proceeded to put on his jacket.

Jaehyun figured it all out, the reason behind Taeyong staying in Seoul rather than going to London with him. "Did you set me up on a blind date?" he asked flatly. "Are you on drugs?"

"I am not on drugs...and you have to get back out there." By now Taeyong spoke seriously, "I can't watch your moping face for another second."

Jaehyun looked offended. "I'm not moping Tae." His best friend didn't realize that he's been rather happy lately. If only he'd gone with him, he would have seen how high spirited he'd actually been.

Taeyong placed his foot right in between Jaehyun's thigh to stop him from getting out of the chair. He kneeled in to test his reaction once more. "Don't tell me you're not interested in him a little."

Jaehyun stayed silent.

"I worked hard to find him." he said as if he was threatening the misbehaved man. "So do well and thank me later." He gathered the leftover snacks and disappeared.

Jae watched down below as his disrespectful friend drove off, "I don't mope..." he mumbled.

He looked at the time on his wrist.It was 5:50pm and he didn't feel he could go through with the arrangement. His heart began racing and all of his reluctance to date again overpowered everything every positive he'd been feeling.

His jacket was already in his arms so after he felt the coast was clear, he escaped onto those streets he'd been watching all night.

Jaehyun walked a few blocks before he became lightheaded. As if he was seeing himself from a birds-eye view, he envisioned his fears ruining his life forever. He was already putting a cold and abrupt end to something that hadn't yet begun. He suddenly decided to consider the boy's feelings and couldn't muster the courage to let him down.

With hands tucked deep into his pockets, he scanned the bright sky and decided to return to the cafe where his favorite fan was waiting.