chapter 15 ✧ knock knock knock✧

When Jaehyun received a message from Taeyong stating that he was at a nearby bar he dismissed the approaching cab and met him via foot. Again, he was unnoticed by the locals once inside but not by the bartender who mentioned that it was unusual to see celebrities in that area. Jaehyun admitted that he would frequent the neighborhood often when he was just a trainee two years ago. After chatting a bit, the bartender offered him a specialty glass of wine on the house and after a grateful toast, Jaehyun averted his attention to the redhead beside him, "Ready to go?"

Taeyong nodded his head,"stay a while harabeoji [grandpa]. I can't believe you're back so soon."

"Was I too quick?" Jae said in a concerned voice.

Taeyong gave him the nod of an understanding parent, "you're inexperienced, I guess you tried your best."

"Thanks, but we should go. I have a long day tomorrow."

Taeyong grabbed onto Jae's arm, "Wait wait wait." He tugged at him to sit because he was already rising from the bar stool.

"Did you take our uwu home?"

Jae made a face as if he didn't appreciate him stealing his pet name. "Well, I walked him to the train station-"

"Why didn't you take him home," the red head badgered.

"he insisted," Jae shrugged, "he had to make a stop somewhere..." he felt a little guilty now.

"A stop where? you should have taken him there."

Jae rolled his eyes, "How could I when you stole my car."

"Our car. Anyways, did you find out if he was ...seeing anyone?" Taeyong remembered the questioning from Jungwoo's co-worker who seemed to know something he didn't.

Jae stroked his hand around the glass of wine, "He's isn't."

"How do you know?"

"I asked him."

"when?!" Tae said with eyes nearly popping from his head.

"During the concert." By now Jae was beginning to to take another sip of wine but after noticing how many drinks the red head finished, he receded.

"You asked him if he was seeing someone while he was drunk?" Tae took a shot in between talking, "you really aren't as innocent as you look!"

"So I'll spare you. Otherwise you'd be dead for setting me on another date."

"Uhh no I wouldn't," Tae responded confidently, "Because ultimately you trust me."

Jaehyun knew he was right. Sure the last set up was not what he imagined, but would he be here if it wasn't for that ending? "I suppose," he admitted quietly. He then reached out his hand towards cupid himself, "so are you going to give it to me?"

Taeyong looked at his grabby hands and gave off his phone willingly. He wanted to be in control but hoped his best friend would not sabotage this arrangement. Jae began scrolling through his contacts, "Let me guess. His name is under panda bear or something?"

Taeyong frowned at him, he wasn't that thoughtless, "Snoopy, his number is under snoopy."

***

Jungwoo stopped by the convenience store on his way home like he did almost every night after work. The music was still blasting his eardrum off but what really shocked him was how quickly he hit next on his ear-pod after a song of his crush played. 

Maybe his repertoire of songs made him feel lonely. Even though he just left his side, he couldn't explain why he felt burdened. A passing whiff of his Jaehyun's prominent scent lingered which caused him to go weak. 

He decided to purchase two beers from the coolers. His cousin was already a drinker so he thought it'll be nice for them to chat over beer tonight. But Jaemin didn't send his normal ETA today even though his last class ended around 5pm. So he decided he'd wait at the nearby playground and flopped on a lonely swing.

A few hours passed with him calling and texting his cousin because he was now worried. After finally giving it a break he felt the buzzing in his pocket and answered quickly without paying attention to the unknown number, "Yeoboseyooo?" he slurred while taking another sip of beer, "Cousin?" 

"It's me, Jeong Jaehyun."

Although the air was fresh, Jungwoo couldn't breathe. He spit the liquid from his mouth onto the padded ground. 

"J-J-Jaehyun? Oh, hi!" There was something different about hearing his voice over a digitalized port. It was even more special than being right beside him.

"I just wanted to make sure you got home okay," he said kindly.

"oh...yes. I'm home well, I actually stopped at the park."

"ohh," said Jaehyun slowly, "you're not getting drunk are you?" It's like he already knew.

Jungwoo gave a nervous laugh. "Probably...well honestly I don't know," he was now on Jaemin's stolen 16oz which didn't seem too bad except he didn't know his limits. "But I'm still sober," he finally said.."How-w-w...about you? have you arrived home?"

"Yes. Maybe you should head inside too. It's getting late."

"Okay," Jungwoo said while scanning the empty streets once more, "I will."

There was a comfortable pause on the receiving end as if Jaehyun was positioning himself to lie down.

"Jaehyun?" Jungwoo asked with a raised inflection.

"Mmh?"

"Is it okay for me to save your number?"

Jaehyun now tossed into his final spot before dozing off, "I'd love for you to," His voice now became soft, "Goodnight, my friend."

"Goodnight... my Jaehyun."

Jungwoo waited for the screen to show the caller's history so that he could save his crush's number with as many emojis imaginable. He actually was a bit buzzed so hugged the air like a crazy person before skipping joyfully back to his apartment. Just four more weeks...

 why do i keep smiling when i think of you?

I get excited by the sound of your voice and

when i see you, i come up with so many questions to get to know you better...

When you reminisce about your day, do you include me in it?

[knock on- nct 127]