singing group

Backstreet boys

Formed

Year : 1993

Location: Orlando , Florida

Members

Alexander James McLean  ( AJ, bone daddy, Johnny no name, Mr. Cool )

Brian Thomas Littrell ( B-Rok, Bri, Rok, Frick)

Kevin Scott Richardson  ( kev, Kevy Kev, Train)

Nickolas Gene Carter  ( Nick, Kaos, Nicky, Frack, Messy Marvin, Junior)

The founder : Lou Pearman ( 1954 - 2016 died in  prison)

manager : Johnny Wright  ( 1993- 1998, 2004- present)

Labels:  Jive (1993 - 2011), BMG, K-BAHN, Legacy,  RCA ( current)

Genres : pop, dance pop, R&B, teen pop, pop rock, adult Contemporary

Howie  and Aj were natives of Orlando, Florida, who met each other through a mutual vocal coach and later discovered Nickthrough auditions.The three, realizing that they could harmonize together, decided to form a trio. 

Cousins  Kevin and Brian both from Lexington ,Kentucky sang in local church choirs and festivals when they were children.

In 1992 Lou placed an ad in the Orlando Sentinel to compose a vocal group. Aj was the first to  audition for lou in his livingroom becoming  the the first member. During the late  1992 - March  1993 Nick, Howie, and Kevin were ultimately selected after meeting Lou's expectations.

1993 Brian flew from Kentucky to  Orlando  to join the group  on April 20, 1993 after  receiving a phone call from his cousin  at school  about the group. Thus, April 20 became their anniversary date.

Lou decided to call them Backstreet Boys, after Orlando's Backstreet Market, an outdoor flea market which was which was also a teen hangout.

On May 8, 1993 the backstreet boys  had their first performance  at SeaWorld  Orlando.

The group then continued to perform in various venues during summer 1993, from shopping malls, restaurants, to a high-profile charity gala ,With a change in management in the fall, they began to tour schools across the U.S.

February 1994, Jeff Fenster (then senior VP  A&R Zomba/JIVE Records) and David Renzer (then senior VP/GMof Zomba Music Publishing) saw the group performing at a high school in Cleveland and signed them to their first record deal.

At the end of December 1994, the group flew to Sweden to record some songs with Max Martin  and Dennis Pop including  " we've got it going on"which ended up being their first single and completed their work in January 1995.  The song was a minor success in the U.S., peaking at only No. 69 by December 1995,but it entered the top 5 in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, and the Netherlands.