4

~September 2009~
With their hands interlocked, Scarlett and Chris walked through the threshold of the New York City hospital. Their hearts pounded with fear and anxiousness as they spotted an older woman waiting for them in the reception room of the ER.

"Hello, I'm Mary Bamford." The woman stood up from the chair as the two best friends slowly made their way to her. She shook their hands in a professional manner. "I'm your daughter's caseworker."

Chris and Scarlett looked around, feeling uneasy; Watching as doctors and nurses, dressed in blue scrubs, ran around the building, helping every patient in need.

"It's nice to meet you." Chris replied with a warm smile, turning his full attention back to Mary.

The older woman looked worn out, with large bags under her eyes and worry lines imprinted on her temple.

"If you'll follow me, I'll take you to her room." Mary sighed as she began walking down the long hallway. Chris and Scarlett followed closely behind the woman, trying to maneuver around the doctors and nurses that ran through the halls.

After a trip in the elevator to the forth floor and a walk down yet another hallway, the three of them finally reached a large, glass door.

The room had multiple beds, all unoccupied. As they walked further down, past the empty beds, the three of them reached a closed curtain.

The woman stopped and looked back at the two. Giving Chris and Scarlett a pitiful look, she slowly opened the blue curtains. The three of them shuffled inside, closing the curtain as quietly as possible behind them.

Scarlett gazed at the sight in front of her, every inch of her body shaking with panic. Chris continued to hold her hand, not letting go as he felt the anxiety rise in her.

A small, dirty blonde haired girl lay unconscious in the hospital bed. Cuts and bruises littered her body, her neck secured with a cervical collar. Wires scattered everywhere, all connecting to different things.

The beeping of the heart monitor and the sighing of the ventilator made Scarlett's knees buckle. Her breathing quickened as Chris helped her take a seat in a chair.

"Her name is Aleah." Mary spoke softly, keeping the sorrowful mood.

Chris was kneeling down beside Scarlett, holding her hand tight as she began to calm down. He kept his eyes on the little girl in front of him.

"What happened to her?" Chris asked, his eyes gleaming with tears. He let go of Scarlett and trudged over to the little girl, taking her hand into his.

"There was a pretty bad car accident last night, her parents...they didn't make it." Mary explained. "She needs a home, at least temporarily until I can find a permanent solution."

Scarlett's head jolted up, looking at the older woman who stood desperately near the curtain.

"Are you asking us to care for her?" Chris asked, hope rising in his voice.

The woman nodded, giving out a hopeful smile.

"I don't think-" Scarlett began, standing up from the chair.

She didn't want to fail Chris and Aleah, but she knew she wasn't suitable to raise and care for a child. Not yet. She couldn't even decide if she made the right choice marrying Ryan a year ago, how could she possibly make the right choice with a child at stake?

"We'll care for her as long as possible!" Chris proclaimed, interrupting Scarlett.

"Oh that's wonderful!" Mary exclaimed, clapping her hands together and letting out a sigh of relief.