7

~September 2009~
The sound of the doorbell rang throughout the house as Aleah sat in the living room occupied with a show on Disney Channel while Scarlett was upstairs getting ready for the day.

The six year old sprung up from the large, white couch just as Scarlett was coming down the stairs.

"Don't answer the door." Scarlett warned as she watched the child skip to the door.

"But it's Chris!" She exclaimed, pointing out the window where they could see the 27 year old waiting patiently on the porch.

"Hasn't your mother taught you anything about stranger danger?" She asked, pulling Aleah out of the way so she could answer the door.

Chris gave his best friend a wide smile as he stepped inside the house and closed the door behind him.

"Yeah!" She giggled. "But it's only Chris."

"Only Chris!?" He teased as he picked up the little girl and held her on his hip. She began having a laughing fit as Chris tickled her, the sound of the child's laugh warming his heart.

"I didn't mean it like that!" She snorted as Chris put her back down.

Scarlett and Chris watched as Aleah ran back into the living room to continue watching her show. Her little feet pattering against the hard wood floors and a plop as she jumped onto the couch.

After seeing the six year old completely mesmerized by Hannah Montana, Chris placed his hands on the 24 year old's waist, pulling her into his body.

She slipped her arms underneath his, wrapping them around Chris' waist. She couldn't help but smile, she felt safe in his embrace.

"I can't do this alone." She whispered, resting her head on his chest, listening to his heart beat as it started to pulse faster.

"You aren't alone." He breathed, kissing the crown of her head.

Scarlett lifted her head from his chest, looking straight into Chris' ocean blue orbs. His eyes pulled her away from reality, as if the currents pulled her away from shore.

Chris placed his hand on her cheek, caressing his thumb over her soft plump lips, slowly leaning in.

His warm lips interlocked with Scarlett's, pulling her closer into his body with determination.

The heavy panting became deafening as Chris gently shoved the 24 year old into the wall, eager for more.

The shove against the wall brought back memories from their drunken night six years ago. The smell of alcohol on their breaths and the eagerness they had for each others touch.

Chris' hands slowly creeped up underneath Scarlett's shirt, giving her goosebumps. But she quickly shoved his hands off of her.

"We can't." She panted, gesturing toward Aleah in the other room.

He nodded, backing away slowly, still breathing heavily.

Scarlett closed her eyes tightly, leaning against the wall with her head back.

What am I going to say to Ryan? She thought, rubbing her hand over her temple in stress.

__

After their trip to Target to buy Aleah a few toys, the three of them made their way to a grocery store. As they walked down the isles, they picked out anything a six year old would eat. It wasn't long before the cart was full of foods that suited Aleah's needs and wants. Chris and Scarlett both grabbing anything the little girl pointed at, trusting her judgment.

"No!" Aleah whined, shaking her head vigorously as Scarlett opened the fridge to grab a carton of milk.

"Why not? You need milk to grow." Chris explained, standing up tall as if he was a superhero, causing the little girl to giggle.

"No, I'm allergic." Aleah replied, continuing to shake her head.

"Allergic to milk?" Scarlett asked, immediately checking the ingredients of the items in the cart.

"One time my mommy accidentally gave me real milk and I had to go to the hospital." Aleah revealed as Scarlett started handing things that contained dairy to Chris.

Chris left the two while he put away the items that could send his little girl into anaphylactic shock.

"What do you drink?" Scarlett asked the six year old.

"Soy milk." She replied with a smile as the 24 year old grabbed the carton of soy milk and placed it in the cart.

Scarlett kneeled down to Aleah's height, placing her hands on the child's small, chubby cheeks.

"Your gonna be the death of me." She smirked, giving the child a kiss on the cheek.

Before Scarlett could stand up, Aleah took the woman's face in her little, clammy hands and copied her actions, giving Scarlett a peck on the cheek.

The 24 year old's heart fluttered at the contact from the small child. She was surprised at the way she felt, almost like she wanted to be near the child at all times. It was a feeling that scared her a little, but it brought her happiness.

She stood up, smiling before walking to find Chris, Aleah following behind her.

The sound of the child's shoes stomping playfully on the tiled floor of the store could be heard behind Scarlett as she searched for Chris up and down the food isles.

"Aleah, hold my hand." Scarlett said, holding her hand out for the child to take as the store began to get busy.

She could see Chris up ahead, still putting away some of the items that contained milk where they belonged. God, he's too good. She thought with a smile.

Scarlett's hand was still outstretched for the child to take, but there was no little, clammy hand holding onto hers.

"Aleah?" Scarlett asked, turning around.

No answer.

The 24 year old felt her throat dry up as she began to sweat profusely, her eyes darting around everywhere as she tried to spot the child.

"Aleah!" She called louder. Everybody around her glanced at Scarlett, noticing the worry and panic that she felt but choosing to ignore it.

"Scarlett?" Chris called out from behind her.

She slowly turned around, meeting her glossy green orbs with his blue ones. The expression that was plastered across her face scared Chris.

"Where's Aleah?" He asked playfully, looking behind Scarlett, expecting to see the six year old hiding and playing a trick on him.

But she wasn't there.