18

December 2009
The sight in front of his eyes made Chris fall in love all over again; if that was even possible. Aleah stood on top of a chair while stirring a Christmas cookie batter with Scarlett leaning in beside her, one hand protectively holding her daughter steady while she observed the cookie batter.

"Good job sweetie." Scarlett cooed as she helped Aleah down from the chair.

"Mama can I do that?" Aleah asked as she watched her mother roll the batter in small balls and placing them on a cookie tray.

Scarlett smirked. "I thought you wanted to watch your show."

"I changed my mind." Aleah shrugged. "Please?"

Scarlett chuckled at her daughter's cuteness and nodded her head. "Go wash your hands."

"Again!?" The six year old asked astonished as she made her way to the kitchen sink.

"Don't act like I didn't see you picking your nose just now." Scarlett smiled as she picked up her daughter so she could reach the sink.

Aleah groaned, washing her hands before being placed on the chair again. The six year old helped her mother roll the cookie dough into small balls and place them on the tray, sneaking a little bit of dough into her mouth.

"I saw that!" Chris exclaimed while tickling his daughter's sides. She jumped, scared from the sudden surprise before giggling at her fathers antics.

Scarlett took the tray and placed it in the oven while the father and daughter continued their tickle wars. Aleah tried to run away but Chris was too fast. She decided it was best to have her mother's protection.

"Mama!" Aleah screamed as she unexpectedly jumped into Scarlett's arms. The woman groaned as she hoisted her six year old up just as Chris rounded the corner.

"Hey! Not fair." Chris chuckled, leaning against the counter to catch his breath.

"Mama's my safe place." Aleah said. "You can't touch me here!"

Scarlett looked down at her daughter who held on for dear life as Chris slowly inched his way toward the two. She would do anything to protect the little life she and Chris created. However, she had to finish the job.

A howl of laughter fell out of the child's plump lips as both her mother and father tickled her. She wiggled around in her mother's arms, trying to escape.

"Stop it!" She screamed through her high pitched giggles. Suddenly a ringtone filled the room, quickly drowning out the sound of the child's laughter. Both Scarlett and Chris stopped torturing their kid with lovable tickles as Scarlett carefully put Aleah down.

"Why don't you go turn on a Christmas movie, hm?" She suggested as she picked up her phone and looked at the caller ID.

Aleah nodded her head vigorously and left the kitchen while Chris eyed his best friend with a confused look. The woman ignored him and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"We have a few reshoots that need to be done as soon as possible." A man said on the other line. "Is there anyway you can come out here?"

Scarlett immediately felt a rush of anxiety and guilt. "Jon, I'm in New York right now."

"I know that, but it's important we release this movie on time." Jon said.

"I don't know, Jon." Scarlett said. "It's almost Christmas and-"

"I understand that Scarlett and I wouldn't ask this of you if you had children waiting for you at home, but this movie is already of schedule and..."

Scarlett felt more guilty than ever. If she said no, she would have to give a reason. That reason was supposed to be kept secret for as long as possible.

"Alright, I'll be out there tomorrow." Scarlett sighed, she could already see the disappointment in Chris' eyes. She hung up the phone and turned her back to her best friend. Her sole focus was the cookies in the oven.

"Scarlett, where are you going?" Chris questioned cautiously.

"I have to go film a few reshoots in Los Angeles." Scarlett said, slowly turning to face Chris.

He looked over his shoulder to see Aleah playing the movie Home Alone before looking back at Scarlett.

"Don't do this to her." He practically begged in a low tone.

"There's nothing I can do!" She raised her voice a bit. "Unless you want the world to know about Aleah."

"This is our first Christmas with her, it's supposed to be perfect and special!" He stated with a hint of anger behind his usual calm voice.

"I promise, I'll be back before Christmas." Scarlett whispered, tears threatening to form. Chris shook his head in a way of expecting her to break that promise. He didn't care if she let him down, but their six year old daughter didn't deserve to be let down by her mother.

"What if we came with you?" Chris suggested. "We could spend Christmas in Los Angeles."

"I don't know, Chris." She sighed. "I had this perfect image of Aleah's first Christmas with us...and it wasn't this."

"Yeah, you're ruining that 'perfect image', It's not fair to her." He said, aggressively pointing toward Aleah.

Scarlett sighed and let a couple tears fall down her cheek. "I promise I'll be back before Christmas."

_

"Mama, please don't go!" Aleah begged as she wrapped her arms around Scarlett's neck and held on as if her life depended on it.

They were all outside the airport which was busier than ever due to the holiday season. Everyone was rushing to join their families while Scarlett was leaving hers.

"Don't worry baby girl." Scarlett whispered, stroking her daughters hair. "I'll be back before you know it."

Aleah buried her face in the crook of Scarlett's neck, refusing to let go. It tore the woman's heart apart imagining the next few days without Chris and Aleah.

Chris took Aleah into his own arms as Scarlett grabbed her suitcase and walked inside the airport. She looked back once to blow a kiss toward the two, a tear slipping out as she witnessed Chris's sad frown and Aleah's red tear stained face.

"I love you." She called out with a wave and a watery smile.