11

~September 2009~
As the room continued to spin faster and faster, everything became a blur. She tried to focus her sight on an object that wasn't moving; a glass of water that sat on the table. But it felt as though her head was spinning around like an owl and the glass of water was only a blur.

Aleah attempted to hide the fact that she was struggling to breath, but Scarlett was watching the child like a hawk, worried that something was seriously wrong. But she couldn't quite tell, especially when Aleah was acting as if everything was alright.

The little girl began wheezing, trying to inhale enough oxygen her body needs to function but it wasn't working. She struggled, but continued to hide it. Her face became bright red and swollen as hives slowly began to appear up and down her arms.

Scarlett knew something was wrong, there was no hiding it now. She could see the tears the six year old was trying to hold back as the fear of dying overcame her. She could see the hives that ran up her arms and the swollen face that seemed to become more and more noticeable.

"Shit, Aleah!" The 24 year old shrieked, sprinting to the six year old who had just fallen out of her chair. No matter how still she sat, the spinning room made her lose balance, feeling as though the chair was tipping over when really it was just her.

"Call 911!" She yelled to her mother who was already up rushing to grab the phone.

The 24 year old could feel Aleah struggling to breath, her body heaved in her arms as she tried to inhale.

As Melanie called the emergency services, Scarlett tried to get the six year old to drink some water, almost forcing her to drink it but the child refused.

"Baby, I need you to talk to me, okay?" Scarlett said, giving up on the water as she stroked the girl's swollen face.

Aleah looked up at Scarlett, giving her a fearful expression. She clung onto the 24 year olds hand that wrapped around her torso in a protective manner, squeezing it.

"I-I'm s-scared." She choked out, tears forming in her eyes. Her voice was barely a whisper as her throat threatened to close more than it already had.

__

"This is all my fault..." Scarlett mumbled to herself as she sat in a chair beside the hospital bed. The six year old was sound asleep, and breathing normally thanks to the antihistamines the doctors had given her.

"It was an accident, if anything, it was my fault." Melanie tried to console her daughter but she refused to be comforted. God, was she stubborn.

"Who in their right mind puts dairy products in chicken seasonings?" Scarlett asked angrily as she stood up and began pacing the room.

"We'll just have to be more careful, maybe start double checking the ingredients." Melanie suggested, grabbing Scarlett's hand before she could pace in the opposite direction.

She pulled her daughter into a tight hug, giving her the comfort she very clearly needed just as Chris rushed into the room.

"How is she?" He asked in a worried tone, making his way to his daughter's bed side where she slept peacefully.

Scarlett stayed in her mother embrace, keeping quiet as she felt too guilty to say anything to Chris.

"She's much better." Melanie answered. "She's just very tired, her body went through a lot."

After hearing her mother, Scarlett immediately broke down crying. In just a few days she has lost Aleah and sent her to the hospital. What kind of mother does that?

"Scarlett." The 27 year old whispered in a calming voice, making his way over to her.

She pulled away from her mother's embrace and with a simple nod of Chris' head, Melanie left the room.

"It was an accident." He tried to reassure her, but she already fell into his arms, sobbing.

"I'm the worst mother, I should have checked!" She wept into his shoulder. He quickly pulled her away and intensely stared into her green orbs.

"It was an accident. It was bound to happen." He said, holding her by her shoulders. "You are an amazing mother, it's second nature to you."

"I can't do it." She mumbled, shaking her head. "I think she should stay with you, she'd be safer."

"No Scarlett, don't you dare give up on her." He replied with fury, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Why are you so against her living with you?" She began angrily. "I'm literally handing her over to you."

As much as the 27 year old wanted nothing more than his daughter to live with him, he knew this would hurt her in the long run. Chris knew Aleah, he knew she wants Scarlett to love and care for her. Not him. At least not now.

He was angry, his blood boiling at the thought of Scarlett walking out on her daughter. Someone that grew inside her for nine months, someone who's heart was created by her.

"That's the problem." He hissed.

Scarlett gave up, she wasn't going to win this fight and she knew it. With a simple nod of the head, she left the room.

With a long, deep sigh, the 27 year old made his way back to his daughter's bed. Sitting down, he noticed the girl's eyes quickly shut.

"I know you're awake." Chris whispered, kissing the top of the little girls head.

"Where did Scarlett go?" She asked sadly, opening her eyes to reveal those same green orbs.

Chris was furious at Scarlett, but stayed calm for his little girl.

"She'll be back." He lied, hoping it was true. This wasn't like Scarlett. His best friend would never leave a child, she would never distance herself from a child. Especially her own.

So why was she doing it now?