Promise Part 4 (Ending)

Chaeyoung felt something warm around her. The scent was very familiar and too comfortable that she didn't want to open her eyes.

"Chae..." Someone's calling her but she was too tired to respond.

Chaeyoung felt a tap on her shoulder. "Chae, wake up," called the voice softly once again. It was rather familiar to her though.

She slowly opened her eyes and met a pair of sparkly doe eyes. She rubbed her eyes and looked at the person hovering her.

"Hey, why are you sleeping here?" he asked.

"J-J K?" Chaeyoung muttered.

'Am I dreaming?' she thought.

"No, you're not," he replied.

He heard her. That's when she remembered where she was. She got up and realized that his jacket was around her.

He was smiling at her while fixing her hair. She checked the time and it was 10:40 pm.

"Why are you sleeping on a cold night outside wearing that?" he asked looking at her outfit.

His action made her face heat up. He did it as if it was the most normal thing to do considering they're no longer together.

She pouted, embarrassed that he found him sleeping on a bench wearing such revealing clothes. She grabbed his jacket around her to cover herself.

"Sorry, I was in hurry," she began. "I--" she was cut off when Jungkook suddenly hugged her tight.

"I thought, you were not coming," he said with shaky voice.

His warmth and scent immediately washed away her embarassment. She hugged him back. It felt like home.

"I thought you left," she responded.

He released her from their hug and faced her once more.

"I waited and when I thought you were not coming anymore, I decided to spend the next hours just sitting here for the last time...and then I got hungry so I left to eat something," he explained.

She chuckled.

'How can a man be so hot and adorable at the same time?' she thought.

"When food is life, huh?" she joked.

"You taught me well..." He chuckled as well. Chaeyoung missed that sound the most.

Then she remembered what she came here for.

She stepped back a little to give themselves some distance which didn't escape from Jungkook's notice.

The atmosphere suddenly became awkward. Both hated it.

She cleared her throat.

'Here goes nothing,' she sighed.

"So... You asked me to meet you here. What's up?" she said trying to sound casual when her heart is beating so hard.

Jungkook stared at her. Everything he rehearsed earlier before coming suddenly vanished. His confidence was fading too.

"Uh..."

Chaeyoung waited for him to speak.

"I just---wanted to see you," he said.

"and?" she prompted. Jungkook took long to gather his thoughts and Chaeyoung was getting impatient.

Another seconds passed and still no word from Jungkook.

Chaeyoung sighed. "JK, it's late and---"

"I wanted to see you because I miss you so much and I want you back," Jungkook said rapidly which caught Chaeyoung off guard.

"What?" she asked.

"I want you back, Park Chaeyoung," he repeated with conviction this time.

Chaeyoung can't believe her ears. Her heart leapt, but she suddenly remembered about Tzuyu and scolded herself for feeling that way.

"How can you say such thing when you have a girlfriend, JK?" she paused.
"You can't just break your promise to her like how you broke your promise to me."

Jungkook felt a pang of pain and guilt on her last statement.

He reached her face and caressed it. "Chae, I know in a way, I broke my promise to you. And I regret that every day."

She moved away from him. The tears started to slowly stream down her face.

"Chae, hear me out...please don't cry. I hate seeing you like this," he pleaded.

"You don't know how much I cried because of you," she said softly.

A soft "I'm sorry" was all Jungkook could utter.

Another awkward silence passed. Jungkook grabbed his phone which he just noticed was switched off. He turned it on and showed her an article. Chaeyoung read the headline: Tzuyu with her new boyfriend

Chaeyoung's eyes grew big and looked at Jungkook with so many questions in her head.

"She was never my girlfriend to begin with," Jungkook spoke again. Chaeyoung was now all ears.
"It was all a tactic by our companies to hide the truth. Remember those leaked photos of her and me after we broke up? That wasn't me. It was her non-showbiz boyfriend. I came into the picture when a photo of us was leaked. I got scared but PD nim had a plan and the only way for me to protect you was to agree with what they wanted. It was a win-win situation," he explained.

"Those articles of you together..." she spoke.

"They were staged, Chae. We never stayed together for longer than five minutes, let alone go on dates."

Chaeyoung can't believe she cried over those stupid articles.

"But what about this article?" she asked.

"I was honestly surprised by this news, but I am happy because at least we didn't have to pretend anymore," he said. "Tzuyu and I are free."

Chaeyoung became silent.

Jungkook walked to her and held her hands. "I regret being in that situation with Tzuyu, but you know what I regret the most?" he paused and stared into her eyes.
"Breaking up with you for the sake of our careers," he declared. "I was miserable without you."
Jungkook's eyes are now wet with tears and so are Chaeyoung's.

"Chae, please accept me again and let me fulfill my promise," he asked.

Chaeyoung cried harder and just nodded her head.

Jungkook's face lit up and asked her again. "Really, Chae?"

"Yes... Really." Chaeyoung said with happy tears.

Jungkook kissed her forehead and wrapped his arms around her. "I love you, my love."

Chaeyoung's heart bloomed with joy as she was enveloped in his warm embrace.

"I love you too, baby."

-end-