Chapter 12

Mitsuki shuddered. A strange feeling encompassed him, like something was wrong. He looked towards Aiko, sighing at the sight of her. She was exhausted, passed out on his sorry excuse of a bed.

Mitsuki frowned at his chest, the deep gash fading into no more than a scar. Just like all the others. He frowned. It must have taken a lot of energy to heal that. He glanced toward Aiko, eyes swimming with shame.

He shook his head, jumping off of the table/bed. He silently left the room, gently shutting the door behind him. Footsteps light as a feather, the boy walked, hands brushing against the stone wall.

Log had once told him how the walls contained the souls of the poor people who died within these walls. His brother had said how the souls were restless, and furious at them, because they hadn't died with them.

"Mitsuki." Log's serious face frowned in his head. "Don't try to go into the walls. The souls will try to grab you, take you away." Mitsuki had nodded back then, not sure how he would even go through if he tried.

But they don't seem hostile. Mitsuki hummed, relishing in the familiar feel of electricity sprouting from the walls. He could feel them. And they seemed to welcome him. Mitsuki silently continued in the hall, closing his eyes and letting his fingers guide him.

Suddenly the feeling of familiarity halted, the souls shrinking back with a spark. Surprised, Mitsuki snapped open his eyes. "Parent." He blinked in surprise.

Orochimaru frowned at him. "Mitsuki, what are you doing? You should be getting ready for bed." Mitsuki looked sheepish, avoiding his parent's eyes. "Sorry." Orochimaru tched, disappointment apparent on his face.

Mitsukis bit the inside of his cheek. He looked past his parent, seeing nothing but bare wall behind him. "Where... where did you come from?" Orochimaru shook his head.

"Come, let's get you ready for bed. You want a snack?" Mitsuki's ears perked up at the mention of a snack. "Yes! Mitsu would probably enjoy some cheese too." Orochimaru smiled softly at his son.

"Alright. Cheese it is." Orochimaru placed a hand on Mitsuki's back, leading him away from the end of the hall. Mitsuki grinned, but his brother's voice still rang in his head. "Don't go into the walls."

The albino hummed. Perhaps parent doesn't know? He shook his head. No way. His parent knew everything. He's probably so strong that the souls can't even get to him. Mitsuki nodded, as if this made perfect sense.

Of course. He gulped. That's exactly what's going on. He sneaked a glance at Orochimaru, worry apparent in his eyes. Parent will be ok... right?

~*~

The adults sat at a restaurant table outside, drinks in hands.

"Well, Naruto, I'm sorry our efforts turned out to be fruitless." Gaara tilted his head at his friend. Naruto laughed it off, shaking his head. "It's fine. We'll find them eventually."

All three adults at the table glanced at each other. They all knew Naruto well enough to tell when he was faking a smile.

Sasuke sighed, standing up. "I'm going to take the kids home." Naruto pouted. "Eh? Sasuke, what about your drink?" Sasuke rolled his eyes at him, taking his drink and downing it in one shot. "Goodnight."

Naruto shook his head. "High tolerance bastard." Sasuke flicked his finger at him. "Usuratonkachi. Not my fault you're a lightweight."

Naruto might have squawked out a response, but by that time Sasuke and the kids were long gone.

Sarada looked up at her father. "Hey, can we stop by ChoCho's?" Sasuke shrugged. "Why?" Sarada adopted a thoughtful look on her face. "Himawari's staying there, since, you know. I was hoping Boruto and I could see how she's doing."

Sasuke shrugged again, the trio approaching their house. He stepped up, unlocking the door and stepping in. Sarada raised an eyebrow at him.

Sasuke kicked off his shoes. "Sure. Be back before ten am tomorrow. You know how Naruto gets when he wakes up without knowing where you guys are." Sarada gave him a beam and a thumbs up.

Sasuke shut the door in her face, her smile too bright for his eyes this late at night. Sarada laughed, before turning to Boruto. "Alright, let's go!" Boruto nodded, smiling. The two took off into the night.

Before they knew it they were at ChoCho's house. Sarada didn't bother knocking, she just opened the door and walked in. "ChoCho! Himawari!" A large man strolled out of the kitchen, grinning at the twins.

"Well, if it isn't Naruto and Sasuke's kids. I'm still shocked that they and Sakura managed to pull it off." Sarada laughed. "Chouji-san, it's been fifteen years!" The Akimichi scowled. "So what? It hasn't been that long ago. Are you implying that I'm old?"

The girl giggled. "Of course not!" The man scowled, before relaxing into a good natured smile. "ChoCho is upstairs with Himawari." The duo nodded. Boruto grinned, calling out. "Thanks Chouji-san!"

"Yea, yea." The man watched them curiously, munching on a bag of chips.

"Himawari?" Sarada gently knocked on the door. ChoCho answered, seemingly surprised when she saw the twins on the other side of the door. "Boruto? Sarada? Aren't you supposed to be on some hotshot mission with your parents?"

Boruto grit his teeth, shaking his head. "Nope. Something came up. Aunt Sakura is gone." ChoCho did a double take. "Sakura-san too? Shit." Sarada bit her lip, nodding. "Yea. How is she?"

ChoCho shook her head, opening the door wider for the two to come in. "Refuses to talk. Losing her mom had been a huge hit." She sighed. "Maybe you two will have a better chance than me. You guys are closer anyways."

The girl left it at that, heading downstairs to find her father. Boruto and Sarada exchanged a look before carefully approaching the girl on the bed.

"Himawari?" She looked up, a sort of relief reflecting in her eyes as she saw them. The girl quickly averted her eyes. Sarada glanced at Boruto, lying down next to Himawari.

Boruto understood immediately. He may not be familiar with this Himawari, but she was Himawari nonetheless. And no matter what anyone says, Boruto knew his sister better than anyone else.

He silently lay down on Himawari's other side, interlocking his fingers with her hand, knowing Sarada was doing the same thing on the other side.

Just like that, the strong front Himawari had been putting up crumbled, safe in the sight of her teammates. She let out a sob, her arms coming up to cover her face, bringing the twin's hands along as well.

The two did nothing, just lay down and let her cry. Finally, the tears subsided, replaced with the steady breathing of Himawari. Within seconds of knowing Himawari was asleep, Boruto and Sarada followed, the three of them falling into a dreamless slumber.

Poor Hima :(. Its ok sweetie, your teammates got your back.