Chapter 31

"Mitsuki! Hold on, wait a moment!" Boruto yanked his arm from Mitsuki's grip. "Can you tell me what's going on?"

Mitsuki swirled around, a panicked expression on his face. "I don't know Boruto! But if it's anything close to what I'm thinking about, we need to hurry. They're going to try and kill your father and the Kazekage!"

Boruto stared skeptically at him. Mitsuki frowned. "Please, Boruto. I know I've tricked you in the past, but I care about your family. Please trust me just this once."

Boruto sighed, scratching his head. "Alright fine. Come on we better hurry." He grabbed Mitsuki's arm, leading him to an open area with the bitter smell of smoke wafting in the air. The fire in the middle of the space glowed bright, illuminating the smiling faces sitting around it.

One of those faces caught wind of the two approaching boys. "Boruto! Where have you been?" Sarada laughed, racing over to greet the two. She skidded to a halt upon seeing Mitsuki. With a glare, she cautiously rested her hand on top of the kunai strapped to her belt.

"Hello, Mitsuki."

Boruto rolled his eyes. "Chill Sarada. He's safe and has some info. Wheres Tou-san?" Sarada hummed, not releasing her hand from her kunai. "Sitting next to Dad. Come."

"Dad!" Boruto ran over, pulling Mitsuki in tow. Naruto smiled at him. "Boruto... and Mitsuki. How are you?" Mitsuki merely nodded, while Boruto shook his head urgently.

"Dad, Mitsuki drank the potion. For real this time. He thinks he knows what's going on regarding the whole biju incident." Naruto narrowed his eyes. "How? None of our best nin was able to find out anything."

"But they haven't been on the inside." Mitsuki blurted out. When Naruto raised an eyebrow at him, he continued a bit nervously. "In my past life, parent told me about a huge project of some sort. And with all the events happening at once lately, I feel as if maybe the time shifts occurring are causing him to hurry the project up."

Naruto hummed. "I see. I'll look into it when we get back. Can you prepare me a report of your thoughts?" Mitsuki shook his head. "No."

Naruto frowned, and Mitsuki rubbed his hands together nervously. "I think something big is gonna happen. Right now. Or later during the festival. They're going to try and get you and Gaara in the same place and kill you both at once."

Naruto sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose with his hand. "Why? Why target the jinchuriki? Why Gaara and I? Why Boruto? I need answers."

"Mitsuki." Sasuke emerged from behind his husband, an urgent look on his face. "Your parent never stopped trying to achieve the feat of immortality, did he?"

Mitsuki shook his head. "In the past life, he had a lab. One that I could not enter no matter what. I think that's where we need to start."

Naruto and Sasuke shared a look. The blonde turned away first, a disgusted look on his face. "So he's trying to use the Biju immortality to achieve immortality." He grit his teeth. "I'm going to kill the bastard."

"Naruto. I think-" A blood-curdling scream cut Sasuke out. The two men glanced at each other before simultaneously grabbing the two kids. "You two stay here."

Hinata and Himawari both sprinted out of the tent at the same time. "Naruto that was Kiba." The Hokage's eyes widened. "Shit. He's bait." Sasuke clenched his face. "You two go. I'll protect the kids."

Himawari growled at the raven. "Hell no! I'm coming with." Hinata whirled around to glare at her. "No, you're not. You're staying with Sasuke-san where it's safe." Himawari held her mother's piercing gaze for a moment before turning away.

"Tch." The woman relaxed. "Thank you." No sooner than she'd finished the sentence, Himawari was gone. "DAMMIT!" Hinata raced after her. "HIMAWARI!"

Mitsuki shook his head. "I have to go. I'm the only chance you guys have at making it out with no casualties." Boruto was about to say no when the other boy shut him up with a look. He stared pointedly at Naruto and Sasuke. "Especially civilian ones."

Naruto was so tense he looked like he was about to explode. "FUCK!" He bit his lip, taking a couple of deep breaths. "Alright fine. I'll go with the kids, Sasuke you're more familiar with Orochimaru and his techniques."

Sasuke nodded. "Come Mitsuki." Without a word, the duo left immediately. Naruto growled at his kids. "listen up. You stay close and do everything exactly as I say. Do not engage in combat. That is an order from your Hokage."

Sarada and Boruto exchanged a look before gulping and nodding. Naruto was dead serious.

~*~

A silvery laugh rand out across the streets. A young woman with a bright smile rang a tiny bell in her hand. She stood on a ministage with a young man chained to two large posts. "Ladies and Gentlemen, gather around! The main show hasn't even begun yet!"

A murmuring crowd gathered around the stage, exchanging giggles and grins. Neji hummed, looking over at the new attraction. "Is this supposed to be part of the festival?"

Gaara looked over uninterested. "I don't believe so. Probably just a civilian wanting to gain attention." Neji inched over, trying to get a better glimpse of the man on stage. The brunette raised his head ever so slightly, catching Neji's eye.

The man cursed. "Shit! Gaara, that's Kiba." The long-haired male immediately activated his Byakugan. "His chakra points are blocked. Likely by those chains." Gaara grit his teeth. "Ok calm down. They're expecting us to rush in, but we need to take a strategic approach to this."

Neji nodded, forcing his muscles to relax. Then the woman stuck a blade through Kiba's chest and a blood-curdling scream rang out through the air. Neji trembled, his eye twitching and analyzing all the woman's weak points. Unable to take it, the man grit his teeth before running into the scene.

"DAMMIT NEJI!" Gaara yelled after him.

Sorry for the late update! I'll update again soon to make it up!