Chapter 37

Three months later all was well. Although Naruto had made sure to put his best shinobi on high alert, nothing was happening. It was peaceful. Too peaceful.

But he supposes he shouldn't worry too much. After all, Orochimaru wouldn't dare try anything. Especially now, after he's already been beat-

"UZUMAKI! HELP!" A shrill scream filled the air. Naruto's head shot up, and he immediately jumped out of his window to find the source of the noise. He dropped in front of Davina, who had tears running down her face.

The woman clutched her daughter as if her life depended on it.

"What's wrong?"

Davina sobbed. "There's something wrong with her. She wont stop shaking and crying. She's wheezing as if she can barely breathe and can't talk or scream. What the hell is wrong with her?"

Naruto placed his hand on the little girl's stomach, running his chakra through her to check on her condition.

This energy... He inhaled sharply. "Shit."

In one fell scoop he swooped Akio up and jumped from roof after roof until he reached the hospital, Davina following close behind. He barged in,hastily calling for Sakura.

A scared nurse immediately called for the doctor on the pager, and Sakura came running. "Naruto what-"

Her eyes widened when she saw Akio's state. Naruto scowled. "I'm using my chakra to regulate hers. I stopped the spread of the decay, but it's only temporary."

Sakura nodded to a door next to them, and the two shinobi raced inside to place Akio on the hospital bed. Naruto continued to flow his chakra into her as Sakura quickly began to analyze her condition.

She cursed under her breath. By this time Davina had arrived in the room, sitting on the floor with her back pressed against the wall. Her eyes were red as she watched them intently.

"Naruto I thought you eradicated the seal?" Naruto grit his teeth. "I did. He must've established some kind of chakra dependence between him and Akio. His chakra is sucking the life out of hers right now."

Sakura scowled. "He must've noticed that the seal went off somehow."

Naruto shook his head. "But why wait three months after it happened?" Sakura shook her head. "He must be planning something. I'll bet my license that he's doing something right now while we're busy with Akio."

Naruto sighed. "I can't go after him because of Akio, and he knows that." Sakura nodded, "I as well. And if Sasuke were to go by himself... well that's probably exactly what Orochimaru wants."

Davina hesitantly raised her hand. Naruto and Sakura glanced at her. "I can go. I know the ins and outs of his base. He won't see it coming."

Naruto narrowed his eyes. "Are you sure? If you go there he could make Akio's situation worse." Davina grit her teeth. "I know that. And I know he knows that. He'll never expect me to help you guys with the risk of Akio dying. That's what he's counting on."

Sakura shook her head. "We won't let her die."

"I know. You saved her once, and I believe you'll save her again." She sighed, "As much as I hate to admit it, I trust you guys."

Sakura gulped. Hearing her say those words was doing all sorts of things to the butterflies in her stomach. Naruto nodded. "If you're sure, then I'll allow it. But just know that if you betray us or hurt Sasuke in any way..." He glared, a hint of red flashing in his eyes. "I'll kill you."

Davina laughed dryly. "Same goes to you. If Akio dies, I won't rest until you pay. With your life or those around you."

The two nodded at each other with mutual respect. "Alright then," Naruto announced. "It's settled. I'll get Sasuke, you both leave in thirty minutes.

~*~

"Sasuke are you sure?" Naruto frowned at his husband. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Sasuke smirked. "You have so little faith in me?"

Naruto shook his head. "Of course not. I just... don't trust her."

Sasuke rolled his eyes, wrapping his arms around Naruto's waist and pressing a light kiss to his mouth. "I'll be fine. Take care of Akio, okay?"

The blonde sighed. "Alright. Fine. You come back with some answers, yeah? And if I see a single scratch on you-"

"I'll be fine." Sasuke nodded at Davina. "Are you ready?" The woman took a deep breath. "Yea. Lets go."

And with that they were off.

A couple of days later they reached Orochimaru's base. It was slower than Sasuke had hoped but it couldn't be helped. Sasuke glanced at Davina, making sure her chakra was completely hidden.

You back- me front, Sasuke signed to her, and she nodded in understanding.

Sasuke held his breath as the woman went out of sight. She better not screw this up. The raven leaped out of his hiding place, casually strolling in. As he expected, Orochimaru immediately came out to greet him.

"Sasuke. You're getting bold, coming in here without hiding your chakra." The man spared him no response, pushing past him to look around. "Where's your lab?"

"Whatever do you mean? You already looked around last time you were here." Sasuke hummed, recalling a useful bit of information Mitsuki had mentioned to him. Orochimaru raised an eyebrow as Sasuke made a beeline for a door near the end of the hallway.

Sasuke burst the door open, looking around until he found it. He knelt down, removing the wood planks from the floor. Orochimaru looked surprised, and then chuckled. "I see, so that's how Mitsuki was getting in and out. Should've guessed."

The other didn't say anything, merely jumping in and sliding to the bottom. He came out in a dark passageway. "That was a mistake, Sasuke." He heard a voice from the other side of the tunnel he just came down.

"I knew you would come by yourself. You think your so strong, so special hm?" A thud, then silence. Sasuke sighed exasperatedly. Either Orochimaru had short term memory loss or was an idiot.

What made him think whatever barrier he had put up there would keep Sasuke in, he didn't know. But... perhaps it would be safer to check.

Sasuke crawled up the hole he had come down through, surprised when the opening had nothing blocking it.

He crawled out, and his nerves went off immediately, calling out that he was in danger. Wait. Sasuke looked at the closed door, eyes widening as it dawned on him. Okari venom.

He didn't know how Orochimaru managed to convert it to gas, but Sasuke could already feel his muscles weakening as the venom took hold.

He collapsed to the ground, vision shutting down. Through a stroke of luck, he somehow managed to make it back into the hole in the ground. Sasuke landed face first in the dark passageway with a thump.

He couldn't move. He couldn't stay awake. Dammit, he thought. It's up to you now Davina.

Oh nooo Sasuke! Davina better pull through.