Chapter 6 - An unexplained case

Emiko spent almost a week in Verden looking for more clues, but failed to find anything interesting. Amazingly, the thing she saw on the wall that night haunted her even in her dreams.

My dear doctor Tenma

Look at me! Look at me!

The Monster inside me has already grown this large!

The young woman felt that it was related to something very strange and at the same time extremely important. Undoubtedly, whoever wrote these words tried to get her brother into something... Or maybe even... was the real culprit of this chaos? She wasn't sure of this, but she felt quite uneasy.

The only more serious thing that happened in the last few days was the arrest of the terrorists - Max Steinford and Karl Brandt, who killed twelve people associated with GWE, and then they fled to a hideout located in Verden. Besides, the town lived its normal, relaxed rhythm. Nor did it look like anything was going to happen again anytime soon.

So the girl packed her things and after saying goodbye to Iris, whom she had promised to visit again, set off for Düsseldorf. She wanted to visit the hospital in which her brother worked until last spring and look for some information there.

The journey was again partly by hitchhiking and partly by foot. Fortunately, it was mostly cloudy that day, so the heat didn't bother her so much. The only what Emiko was afraid of was a sudden, heavy rain, because the clouds that circled around her were extremely gloomy. However, as you know, the weather often likes to scare you and play tricks - when the girl reached her destination, the dark clouds parted, leaving white clouds in their place.

Claiming to be a young journalist, she spent several days in Düsseldorf, first visiting the hospital and asking about Dr. Kenzo Tenma, and then visiting the editorial office of a daily newspaper publishing house, where, after numerous requests to look at the archives, she received permission in the form of a quiet grunt from one of the journalists working there. Emiko flipped through the last year's newspaper editions, looking for anything that could be related to her brother.

Apart from articles about the search for the fugitive Doctor Tenma suspected of murder, she found nothing of interest. She reproachfully looked at the latest issue she had left to review and sighed.

'As in the previous there was nothing important, it is possible that I won't find anything here either... '

Emiko propped her head with her hand resting it on the table and looked out the window. It's amazing that her brother has lived in this city for the last sixteen years...

'If I even knew what, apart from information about brother, to look for... Some clue... Anything...'

She looked again at the last, lonely newspaper.

'Oh, whatever, I'll look at this last edition... I don't want to feel guilty later for not finishing something. Because what if there is something important here? Let's see... ' The girl grabbed the newspaper and started looking through the lines of text, but at some point her hands holding the newspaper started to tremble visibly.

"(...) Suspect Kenzo Tenma related to the murder of a middle-aged couple. [...] A tragedy took place in Heidelberg, which killed the Fortners. Their daughter Nina Fortner was placed on the list of missing persons. (...) "

'Heidelberg and the Fortners... ', she thought, simultaneously folding the newspaper and getting up from her chair. 'Then I know where to go now. '