Chapter 15 - The Selflessness

After talking to Dr. Reichwein, the girl felt mentally rebuilt. The last time she felt so light was after visiting Dr. Gillen, with whom she could talk bluntly about her brother and the whole thing without fearing any serious consequences.

Over the next month, she succeeded to meet Johan three more times; meet him is even too much said - she was just able to observe him from a quite distance. She was always standing alone then, carefully examining his behavior, movements, and even the way he addressed other people. His behavior was just as natural as if he had never committed absolutely no crime.

As she watched him from a distance, safely hidden in various places, she imagined what it would be like to aim at him... and shoot. These very thoughts made her hands tremble and her heart beat at an accelerated pace...

****

That day, while reading the newspaper, Emiko came across an article about a new "game" among children, which ended with them falling off the roof. Despite many interviews between the young participants, no one was able to find out what it was all about.

'This isn't normal... Where do kids get such ideas from?' She shook her head as she folded the newspaper and continued on her walk - to the university library.

The girl has been in it many times, reading books from forensics and psychology departments each time; she had even read a few crime novels to try to get a little sense of what the criminals who committed the crime might have been thinking. Due to the fact that her name wasn't on the official list of students, she read a bit of all the books on the spot.

Now she was also looking for something related to the topic. Slowly wandering around the titles, she was looking for something that could be useful to her. When she finally noticed one, she reached out to take it from the shelf.

At the same moment, you could hear someone's shrill scream, followed by another, feminine.

"Help!!! Someone come here!!"

In an instant, Emiko withdrew her hand back and quickly rushed in the direction from which the noise came to her.

She didn't have to search for a long time. Only after passing a few shelves, she saw a figure lying in the shadows on the ground between the shelves, with books lying around. Without hesitating, she walked over to the lying man and immediately knelt beside him to check his basic life reflexes.

'First I need-'

The awareness that reached her at that moment made her body shiver from cold so hard that she got goose bumps. Quite unexpectedly, she realized that the person lying next to her was...

'...Jo... han!!'

Her eyes widened in shock.

'What is he doing here?!'

She looked around with a quick movement; there was no trace of the woman from whom she heard the cry for help. She gently brushed the hair off his face with one hand; he lay with his eyes closed, showing no reflexes of life, and his face was so beautiful that his features resembled a prince straight out of a fairy tale... Emiko bit her lip. If she had to make sure it was all over... closing her fingers around his throat... and ending it like that...

She shook her head violently. Shooting from a pistol is one thing, but strangling someone with your own hands...? She felt like she felt sick in an instant.

...Would she be able to face her brother after that?

No.

She would never dare to do it. Not even face herself in the mirror.