Chapter 33 - The Eternal Dream

A light breeze blew through the green trees, carrying the scent of blooming flowers. It was the spring time - beautiful and enchanting, as only this time of year should be. The scent of flowers floated in the air, its captivating scent reaching the shutters of the open window and then the interior of the room.

A figure was sitting there at a desk, furiously studying the book in her hands. However, the breeze was relentless and definitely disrupted the concentration she had undoubtedly achieved. She let out a long yawn, then put a bookmark in her book and leaned back in her chair. At literally the same moment, she heard someone knocking on the door.

"Come in!"

A man in a suit entered the room with a satisfied look on his face, then sat down on the sofa against the wall.

"Congratulations! I heard you achieved one of the best results?" At these words, Emiko smiled at him with a disarming smile.

"It's all thanks to the help of Dr. Reichwein and you, Dr. Gillen. You two gave me wise knowledge, and I only remembered it nicely and drew conclusions. Nothing more." Satisfied with such wisely spoken words, she crossed her arms.

"Psychology studies... in adition criminal psychology studies aren't just 'nothing more', Emiko. You did a really great job... Oh, right, Tenma hasn't come back yet?" The girl shook her head.

"No, but he called yesterday. He's still walking around France and luckily I'm sure he won't get lost on a straight road like I did... He's my onii-chan after all." She stood up from her seat, stretching her stagnant arms slightly. "Would you like some tea or coffee? I still have some time before the bus leaves."

"I'd love to drink some tea. I think I may have overdosed on caffeine recently..." He replied, then stood up and followed her to the kitchen. "Have you heard anything from Nina? I was so overwhelmed with work that I had no way to contact her."

"Hmm... not really." The girl started measuring tea leaves on a tea spoon and pouring them into the cup. "But we're supposed to meet next week. I have a feeling she'll want to talk with me about Kenzo."

"Why do you 'have the feeling'?"

"Well..." Emiko put the kettle on and turned towards him. "This will most likely be a conversation between two adult women, Professor. Please focus better on dealing with prisoners' cases." Then she sent him a wary smile.

****

When young Tenma said goodbye to Dr. Gillen, she put on a light sweater on her shoulders and walked towards the bus stop to go to the institution located on the outskirts of the city. There was someone there who she visited every week, and at the same time someone who could only be visited.

On the way, she picked a flowering branch from an apple tree by the road, admiring the sweet scent of its flowers.

When she got off the bus after several dozen minutes, she headed towards the huge edifice of the building, at the main entrance of which there was a large plaque.

POLICE HOSPITAL IN BAVARIA

She went inside and after showing the appropriate pass at the reception, she started walking down the main corridor towards one of the rooms. Finally she stood in front of the door, pulled the handle and went inside.

There was nothing special about the room. The walls were aquamarine, and in the middle of the room there was an open fabric curtain of the same color. Next was a window, and next to it an iron bed with white sheets and someone deep in sleep...

Emiko came closer and sat on the chair next to the bed, still holding the blooming apple branch in her hands.

"I see... you still haven't woken up since those events." She whispered towards him, suddenly remembering everything that had happened half a year earlier...