Chapter 28 - The Race Against The Time

The next day, after talking to Nina, Emiko packed her things from the motel where she had been living so far and left around noon towards the Czech-German border. She decided to hitchhike to save some money, because since she came to Prague four months ago with Dr. Reichwein, apart from a small amount of sold drawings, she hadn't been able to earn anything more.

But she knew one thing for sure - where she should go. Over the last months, she has been searching and gaining information for a long time... Thanks to this, she managed to discover that the chief members of the organization, in which General Helmut Wolf also participated, are currently associated with Eva Heinemann, her brother's ex-fiancée, and with... Johan.

And that their headquarters is in Frankfurt.

The girl took her suitcase and set off to look for free transport towards the Czech-German border.

****

Slowly but steadily she moved forward. Bit by bit, she was able to move on thanks to the few drivers she had encountered so far; part of the way was also done on her foot. Tired, but at the same time pleased with herself, she managed to cross the border in the evening. From there, she went to the nearest car inn to lay out her things for a while, rest and wait for possible further transport. By the way, she carefully studied the map of the mountain pass in which direction she was soon to head, and which map was hung on a wooden information board, on the other part of which there were announcements about the biggest events in the country.

She cursed in her soul several drivers who had passed her request to be taken and drove off into the unknown. She also discovered with displeasure that she was very very sleepy, but she knew that she couldn't sleep on the road because: a) she was so short and tiny that it would be easy to kidnap her, lock her in the trunk and drive away; b) she had the rest of her money with her, and without it she could starve to death quickly; c) some pervert could take advantage of her condition and cause harm here... So she preferred to wait and find a safe transport, and in the event of a crisis, return to the border and wait the night in the customs house booth.

****

Around midnight, a rather peculiar car stopped at the side of the road...

The car looked like it had been taken straight out of a 1960s movie, and the light from the street lamps made its whiteness even more visible, which was visible from a distance because car was in almost perfect condition, and the car body was gleaming pure clean. A few moments later, the door to this gem opened and a man in his mid-30s stepped out wearing a white suit and an even whiter shirt. He took a pack of cigarettes from one of his pockets and lit one; at the same moment, a light smoke rose up, dissolving into the air.

 He took a pack of cigarettes from one of his pockets and lit one; at the same moment, a light smoke rose up, dissolving into the air

Sitting nearby on a suitcase, Emiko stared wide-eyed at the phenomenon, seriously questioning what she was seeing. Was it some sort of apparition...? Or maybe God of drivers...? She rubbed her eyes to try to wake up... Or do something... anything. Make back to reality...?