Chapter 24 - A City from a Fairy Tale

Two days after the events in the hotel, Emiko went to talk to Dr. Reichwein. She desperately needed even a little support, and even more, an appropriate rest after the last few days spent first in the library and then in the hotel apartment with Johan...

She had to regain her strength because she knew that the events that awaited for her in the future could be even more demanding than those that had happened to her so far. She knew, however, that she wouldn't give up and would pursue the goal she set for herself that day in the park...

****

In the late afternoon she knocked on Dr. Reichwein's door, but not sure... if she really should tell him everything. She shook her head violently. She wasn't here to hide any information, she trusted him. Didn't he himself say that she can always count on him? If she kept silent on important matters now, she wouldn't be fair to him.

She didn't have to go into detail about what she had been doing and what she had talked to Johan about in these few days, did she? Some of the things they had managed to find about each other... It needed to stay between them. These were very personal and very painful memories that only she and he could understand from each other. Only with Kenzo she had the right to talk about it.

Besides, she knew all too well that Johan would have to atone for his actions in the future. She wanted it herself... Even though she forgave him for everything he had done to her brother so far, she known that the rest of his actions she couldn't kept silent. The truth must see the light of day and the punishment must be imposed. But whatever will happen... she will be here for him. She will no longer allow him to plunge into endless desperation, despair and loneliness.

After a while the door was opened by Dr. Reichwein, who as soon as he saw her, from the shock he experienced, he let the empty glass drop out of his hand, which he must have carried back to the kitchen, as it was soiled from some drink. The glass shattered to a tiny pieces all over the floor.

"Emiko Tenma!" He exclaimed, staring in disbelief at the silhouette of a girl standing in front of him. "You... You're safe!" The young woman smiled with a slight sadness in her eyes.

"Can I go in?" The man's hand invited her inside.

"We were convinced that you were in the library! During the fire... What was happening to you all this time?" Emiko looked at the glass crumbs scattered on the floor.

"Well... that's quite... A long story. First, I'll help you doctor clean up this mess; in the end it was because of me that this poor glass is broken..." Her voice trembled a bit at this words, and the man looked at her up and down. He felt something important must have happened over the past few days, which made him a bit unsettled.

"Aah, right. Better that no one accidentally step into the glass, right? I'll get the dustpan and broom right away." The girl nodded her head at him. "Hang your coat on the hanger, Emiko. I'll be right back." After these words, he went to the cubby hole next to the kitchen, where he kept this type of household equipment.

****

After the mess was cleared, the older man made some tea and they both sat on the armchairs in the living room.

"And where is Dieter? He lives with you, right?" The doctor was holding a sugar bowl in his hands, sweetening his cup of tea.

"Well... It looks like he left with Nina."

"With Nina?"

"Sister-"

"...of Johan. I see." The girl finished in a low voice and started stirring the tea, staring at the tea grounds floating on the surface, and Dr. Reichwein looked at her carefully.