I'm Sorry ⊗ MH

It had been so... so easy. Getting people to believe him both on and off screen. Sure, they thought he was going crazy, that he was just getting paranoid. Amusingly, many were on his side and trying to help him. They wanted him to be safe and be cautious of everyone- even Tim despite how long they'd been working together now. Everyone believed it was Alex trying to kill everyone.

Sure, he had. There was proof that Alex had done so. But it was out of fear. The poor film student's mind had been warped to the point he thought this 'infection' could be stopped by killing everyone involved. Jay rolled his eyes at the idea. He didn't really see it as a sickness but to appease the man he went along- the guy got so riled up he killed his own girlfriend the least the cameraman could do was cut his partner some slack.

All the same. He needed to continue keeping up appearances. He'd done so well with making Jessica seem like an accident. Jay had done 'all he could' to try to keep her safe and protect her after getting her involved. Alex hadn't even planned for her so his genuine anger over it had worked out in his favor.

Tim had been much more difficult. The man was suspicious and his masked state was a whole beast in itself. Still, he was quite proud he'd gotten to this point. Jay was almost sad about what was going to happen to the guy, they'd become close in their adventures. He stared at Tim from his vantage point, thinking back to all the times Tim had helped him- even going so far as to risk his life to 'save' Jay from Alex when his partner had unintentionally stumbled across them while hunting the man in the hood.

"Almost have to feel bad for him..." Jay frowned, for once feeling a little guilty about what he was doing. He'd come to consider Tim a friend, even if evidence pointed to all of this starting because of him.

"Having second thoughts?" Alex's harsh whispered voice nearly made Jay jump out of his skin as the man approached.

A curse escaped him as he turned his head. "Don't do that."

His friend's cold stare bore into him. "This is important, Jay, don't mess it up."

He stood and began following after Tim. "I'm not planning on it."

"Shouldn't he be getting into position? He's going to blow it if he isn't ready." Jay huffed and jogged to the staircase to the lower level. Looking back, Alex was already gone.

He continued on his own, moving with much more stealth and tact than he did for entries or around Tim. The poor guy probably thought Jay was a clutz given all the times he'd commented on how they needed to be quiet during their explorations of abandoned buildings. He tried to hold onto the irritation moments like those caused him. The negatives. He needed to focus on the negatives. Tim had brought that thing to them and they needed to take him out.

"Him... and then ourselves." The reminder was grim. Jay didn't agree that they needed to go that far to stop the spread but Alex was insistent. At least with a gun it would be quick.

He stopped in the shadows as Tim came into sight, his body silhouetted by the flashlight he was shining around the large room. Jay glanced around before finding a metal chair, perfect. The scrawny man pushed it over and lingered a moment longer as the beam of light snapped in his direction. Then he was gone, running back through the hallways of the old college.

"Jay?" Tim's voice echoed behind him along with the sound of running footsteps.

He slowed down just enough to allow Tim to get another glimpse before he was off again. All the rooms looked the same and he nearly missed the one Alex was hiding in, ducking into the empty space and giving a silent nod to say their target was on his way.

Alex brushed by him, gun at the ready. Jay listened as Tim's footsteps drew closer and peeked back over his shoulder to watch as Alex slipped out of the room as the man ran by. He winced as he heard the sound of scuffling as the two fought outside- why hadn't Alex just shot him?

"His vision isn't that terrible." Jay mused, remembering Alex had broken his glasses during a previous attempt on the hooded man's life. Guess he didn't want to risk missing.

Jay crept out of the room and looked down at the scene. Alex had finally managed to overpower Tim and had a hand on his throat while the other pressed the gun between Tim's dark eyes. He could see the fear reflected in them grow from the anger he was directing at Alex when Jay came into sight.

"Jay? Jay, run ." Oh, he still didn't get it. Jay shook his head and focused on Alex instead, unable to hold Tim's gaze as realization dawned on him. A snarl ripped from Tim's throat that was choked off as his attacker put more weight behind his grip.

Alex waited until the man settled again before letting out a breath. "I have to do t-"

"Stop!" Jay barely registered he'd spoken, his eyes widening as furious blue eyes turned to stare at him. He swallowed. "I... I want to do it."

If he was going to betray Tim it was only fair he get his hands dirty. The metal felt cold and unfamiliar in his grip. He'd never used a gun before, though it couldn't be that hard, right? Jay pointed it at Tim's head, wanting to get it over with quickly.

"Jay..." The man's voice rasped as he pried Alex's grip off enough to speak. "Wait. We can get help. We-"

"Don't."

"Jay please. I- we can figure this out."

His heart was pounding as he looked down into the man's dark eyes. Those good memories were seeping back against his will and he wanted to turn the gun on Alex. Jay scrunched his eyes shut and tried to steady his shaking grip. "I'm sorry."

A loud bang rang out.