Mall Date ⊗ DH

A03 Request: Chris and Alex (DH) mall date fluff

It was one of those weekends where everything was perfect. The weather was nice and the noon sun was filtering through the large skylight on the mall ceiling. Chris looked up through the clear glass while listening to the indoor fountain at his back. Some of the water was misting onto his back as he sat on the marble edge but he didn't mind; it actually felt nice.

"Chris!" The all too familiar voice he'd been waiting for broke through the mill of other families, couples, and groups of friends.

He looked in the direction of the voice, a smile forming on his lips as he stood and watched Alex walk over. The couple embraced, Alex placing a chaste kiss on top of his shaggy side-swept hair before moving to his side where Chris took his hand.

"You're late." He looked up at the broader man with a light-hearted tone of accusation.

"Sorry, my parents made me finish my chores and I barely got out of watching my little sis."

Despite Alex's annoyed huff at the thought of being stuck home all day to watch his sister, Chris knew he wouldn't really mind. Alex loved his family and truthfully didn't mind the make believe games his sister made him play with her—he once dropped by in the middle of a 'tea party' to find Alex grumbling with exaggerated displeasure in a frilly tutu and plastic crown.

"Come on, they'll be sold out if we don't hurry."

Chris tugged his boyfriend along behind him as he be-lined straight for the store they always visited. He'd already seen lines out this morning for the new Zelda game but hoped there was still a copy left that they could split the cost for. He and Alex had been hyped to play it since they'd seen the first trailers for it, especially since they'd already played through the older games several times. Still fun but now they wanted something new to challenge.

The store was still busy when they walked in, though the lines had certainly gone down. Chris could see cut outs and posters of Link all over the store. As expected, most of the shelves where the new games had once sat were barren. His heart sank despite Alex giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Don't worry. I know a guy who works here." Alex chuckled and headed for the line, waiting patiently.

"Seriously?" Chris shook his head. He probably should've guessed considering how calm Alex had been.

His boyfriend just laughed quietly for a moment and moved to the counter as their turn approached. Chris watched as he spoke to the employee and saw the copy of the game get placed into a plastic bag. He pulled out his half of the payment and sat it on the counter next to Alex's portion. It was only minutes later that they were walking back out of the store with the new game. Excitement coursed through him as he pondered what adventures the two of them would have while playing through it.

"You know, it'd be a waste to leave now. Let's grab some lunch." Alex suggested, turning to head for the heart of the bustling mall.

"Sure, you know I could go for one of those big pretzels."

"You always get that." Alex rolled his eyes, teasing of course. He couldn't actually ridicule Chis about it when a slice of pizza was his constant go-to when eating at the mall.

It was rare they ventured out and tried one of the few actual restaurants here. They usually didn't have quite enough money for those places unless something on the menu was shareable. Getting good-paying jobs wasn't exactly easy when they weren't even out of high school yet. Part time at fast food joints didn't exactly pay well.

Minutes later and the two were sitting with their food at one of the many tables in the food court. There were more people bustling around this area of the mall than the rest, though given the time it was to be expected. Chris leaned against Alex's side as he tore bite-sized pieces of his pretzel off and ate them. The pair chatted between bites of food, excited about the game and complaining about their latest school projects.

"Where're we going after this? Mine or your's?" Chris tilted his head to look up at Alex, cheek still pressed against his boyfriend's shoulder.

"Your place. My sister will just interrupt us at my house."

Chris figured as much. He shot a quick heads-up to his parents, though knew they wouldn't care one way or another. His family would let Alex live there if he wanted—he practically did with how often they hung out. Chris was sure Alex's parents felt similarly about him.

Alex nudged him and stood, tossing his trash in a bin with Chris following. An arm wrapped around his shoulders as Alex steered them for the exit. "Com'on let's get going."