Confessions ⊗ DH

A03 Request: Chris and Alex comfort each other and end up confess their feelings. It can be a mix of angst and comfort.

We're starting this out with some angst but it'll end in some nice comfort!

"You know what? I'm done!" Alex shouted, stalking off for the car.

Chris flinched but was quick to run after him. "Alex, wait!"

His feet skidded in the snow as Alex came to a sudden halt in front of him. The look of anger burned into Chris as he fell.

"She's dead because of us. Dead, Chris!" Alex snapped and gestured at the grave marker they'd just finished making—the thing was already threatening to fall over.

Chris couldn't meet his eyes. Heather was dead because she'd gotten hurt helping them. Without knowing who to trust, a hospital hadn't been an option. Prior to Matt's betrayal, he'd found her some help but after once again being on their own... The bullet wound's infection had become too much.

"We've lost too many friends, Chris." Alex continued before striking home. "Our families would still be alive if it weren't for you insisting we keep going."

"You don't... mean it." He felt like he'd gotten punched and then stabbed again.

Alex just turned and headed back for his car again, leaving Chris where he sat. Chris stared, panic settling in him. All the stress and pain had made Alex lash out like this before. He'd come back... right? If there was one thing they each had always been able to count on it was each other.

"Alex please wait..." He called out, watching the man pause. Hope fluttered in his chest. "I can't lose you too. Don't go. I... I love you."

Silence.

Dread churned his gut. The confession was out and it was met with nothing. Chris teared up as he watched Alex climb into his car and drive off. Well... there was his answer. "Stupid... Why did I think that was a good time to admit it?"

Chris drove back to the hotel they'd managed to scrounge up money for in silence. His chest ached, though for once it wasn't from the stress of their situation nor the argument. Why did he say that? It was true but... Why say it then? Why couldn't he have waited for a better time? Or said it so much earlier when things weren't so... horrible.

Hands ran through his hair as he sat on the edge of the bed, eyes continuing to shoot glances at the digital alarm clock on the bedside table. "Alex always came back before..."

It was so late. Hours and not even a message on his phone. Anxiety ate at him. Chris couldn't help but wonder if the Order had gotten him. What if he was lying trapped or dead somewhere waiting for him to stumble upon much like the two had done after going home and finding their families? A quick call rang until it went to voicemail and he let his phone drop onto the comforter as he ran his hands down his face.

"He's okay... he has to be okay." Was he wasting time lying here when Alex was out there dying?

Tears built up from months and years of stress, spilling over his cheeks as he rolled onto his side and curled into a ball. He was alone. His family, Greg, Jesse, Matt, Heather, and now maybe Alex were dead. What was he going to do with himself?

Time continued to pass. Against all odds, Chris finally managed to fall into a fitful slumber for a while. Nightmares plagued him but he wouldn't wake until a hand firmly shook his shoulder. Chris' eyes blinked open, registering his surroundings before jerking instinctively away from the hand with an embarrassing yelp.

"Chris, relax, it's just me." Alex sat on the edge of the bed, body blocking the view of the time, though Chris could only guess it was some godforsaken hour of the morning.

"Fuck, don't do that."

"Sorry." Eyes met his before quickly darting away. Alex cleared his throat, looking awkward. "And for earlier. You know I wouldn't just leave you."

There was a weight behind those words of something not said but Chris didn't push. He was ecstatic to see Alex was alive and well but exhaustion kept it from showing.

"Are you alright?" The bed creaked as Alex shifted next to him. While the man didn't ask it aloud, it was obvious Chris had been crying.

"I'm just about as fucking peachy as I can be considering everything." He winced, not meaning to make it sound like he wanted to argue further.

Arms wrapped around him, tugging him further against Alex. "I didn't mean it, earlier. I'll keep following you through this insanity as long as you want."

Warmth flooded his cheeks; he could feel Alex's steady breathing on his back and his chin resting on the top of his head. Was this real? Yes. Alex's arms grounded him to the present despite the pain from the most recent deaths wracking his brain. This wasn't something Chris would just imagine.

"Did... you mean what you said earlier?"

The question hung in the air between them. Chris swallowed nervously and tilted his head to at least face the man as he confessed for a second time. "Yeah. I love you..."

For a moment he braced himself for an official rejection despite how they were currently cuddled up to each other. Alex's smile was a rare sight these days but is spread across his face just as handsomely as Chris remembered.

"Took you long enough to say something." He chuckled, running a hand through Chris' lighter hair. "You're really obvious to the point I thought I was reading everything wrong... but I'm glad I didn't. I love you too."

Okay, maybe he'd died at some point. Perhaps this was a dream. No way was this happening. Chris let himself sink further into the other man's embrace. "Well, real or not, it's better than what I normally dream about."

"Alex... Don't die, okay? I... I don't want to see that." Panic shot through him momentarily. Surely at any second this perfect moment they were sharing would be ruined.

"Shh..." Surprisingly gentle touches as Alex rubbed a hand soothingly on his back, occasionally drifting to his arms to make nonsensical trails that caused goosebumps to rise on his skin. "We're safe. We'll be fine as long as we have each other, got it?"

Chris hummed, muscles relaxing under the touch. His eyes drifted closed as he put down his guard; Alex's presence made him feel safe and knowing his feelings were returned certainly took off a smidge of stress.

"So... I guess we're boyfriends now." One last half-lidded look as the thought sent a spark of joy through him. One light amongst the dark reality of the Order hunting them.

Chris would drift off in his boyfriend's arms, Alex falling asleep soon after with arms still circling him and a smile still on his face.