Friends no more

My phone rang. "Cassie?" Nik answered the call as he held my phone in one hand, holding another to my mouth keeping me from making a sound.  "Guess again." He taunted. 

"Klaus." I heard my sister gasp. "What have you done with Cassie?!" She spoke loudly over the phone, worry clear in her tone. "Fret not, love. Your sister is safe and sound for now." 

"You wouldn't hurt her! You're friends aren't you?" She explained and Nik merely smirked at me. "Your sister lost my favour the moment she attempted to kill me." He told Elena. "Why would she do that?" She asked. "Something about almost killing her brother." 

"Klaus please, let Cassie go!" She begged through the phone. "You know what I want Elena. Until then I think I might keep a hold on your dear Cassandra." Nik explained, casually. 

There was a moments pause before Elena spoke again. "I've told you, I don't know where Stefan is!" Nik frowned. "Well then, you'd better start looking for him. That is, if you want to see your sister again." 

"What if I can give you something else?" She asked causing Nik to laugh. "What else could you possibly have to offer me?" He asked her. "Meet me at the Salvatore boarding house and I'll give you Rebekah in exchange for my sister's freedom and both her and Jeremy's safety." 

"Oh, but is that really fair? One in exchange for two? What if I want to keep your lovely sister? After all, she did try to kill me." I narrowed my eyes at him as he spoke to my sister over the phone. "Please Klaus" I heard her beg. "See you in an hour." Nik merely replied before he hung up. 

 The moment the call was over, Nik removed his hand from my mouth and I burst out laughing. "She actually believed you! Oh my gosh!" I patted him on the back "Good acting skills my friend." 

"We're not friends remember?" Nik corrected with a smirk. I grinned. "Ah yes, I hate you and you hate me." 

Nik and I had decided to keep our friendship a secret from my sister and her friends so that I could help him get his family back in a way that wouldn't result in him murdering anyone. With everyone thinking that I hated him, they would trust me more - though I don't believe they should have been judging my character based on my friend choices.  

~

We arrived outside of the Salvatore House, Nik dragging me towards the door while I dug my feet into the ground. "stop that!" Nik muttered under his breath glaring at me. I smiled shaking my head no. "stop having fun with this! You're supposed to be angry and scared!" I forced my smile to disappear pulling a terrified look onto my face for a second before grinning. "Like that?" Nik rolled his eyes "Sure" 

He began to pull me again and this time I stopped digging my feet into the ground. Instead, I began to yell out angrily at him announcing to my sister that we had arrived. "You're going to burst my eardrums, Cassie!" Nik murmured to me "Oh no, I haven't burst them yet? What a shame" I replied and before he could respond the door opened to reveal Elena. 

"Cassie!" She explained going to hug me but I was immediately pulled back by Nik, rather harshly might I add. "Uh ah uh, where is my sister?" He asked Elena. "Give me my sister first." She demanded trying to act brave when I could tell she was scared shitless. "Not going to happen." 

"Fine. Follow me" My sister said, turning around and heading down towards the basement. How did I not know Rebekah was down there? As we followed behind Elena I whispered under my breath to Nik knowing full well he could hear me. "You're a dick." He only rolled his eyes as he said. "Shut up" 

Elena opened a door to reveal Rebekah. In her homecoming dress, she had a dagger sticking out of her back and her skin had become grey and veiny. I felt so sorry, she had been so excited for her first homecoming dance and instead, she found herself stabbed in the back. 

"My poor sister. I can't turn my back on her for a moment." 

"You have Rebekah. A deal is a deal." "The life of my sister in exchange for you brother safety and sisters freedom? Yeah I'd say that's a bargain. Consider him spared and Cassie free." With that he released his hold on me and I ran over to my sister feigning scared and relieved to have my freedom. 

"You should know I was the one that daggered her. When she wakes she'll come after me." I could not believe it. How could my little sister do such a thing, she had been quite kind to Rebekah she had told me how she was going to give Rebekah her mothers necklace but I guess that was all an act. 

"I can control Rebekah. Besides I still need your help finding Stefan." Nik told her. "I told you I don't know where he is." Elena responded, gripping my hand. Nik reached down pulling the dagger from her back holding it in his head as he glanced at Elena. "You're lying. Fortunately, you have no shortage of loved ones. If I don't find my family the question you should be asking yourself is who's gonna die next! Bonnie? Caroline? Damon? ... Cassandra? It's only a matter of time before Stefan gives me what I want." Elena's hold on my hand tightened at the mention of my name. "You promised her and Jeremy's safety!" Nik glanced up "Actually I didn't, your brother is safe and I gave Cassandra her freedom, I said nothing about her safety! You really should watch how people word things. Now you'd better hurry up and find me Stefan, or else." 

"He doesn't care about me anymore. You made sure of that. You turned him into a monster. Now he's your problem. And just so you know I'm not the only one that Rebekah wants dead. She knows what you did to your mother. She knows that you killed her. You can let yourself out."

"Goodbye, Cassandra" Nik called to me in a wicked taunting tone as he lifted Rebekah from the ground turning to leave. 

"Fuck. You." I replied. 

As soon as he turned Elena rushed me into a hug her back turned away from Nik and while she wasn't looking Nik and I exchanged a smile of best friends. 

So... 

Nik and Cassie are keeping their friendship a secret. How long do you think that'll last?