Chapter 8

RENELENE'S P.O.V

I ran as fast as I could against the pouring rain at this very midnight. Going straight somewhere downtown I don't know, let's just stop somewhere later when I feel like stopping over. But at this time, the right thing to do is runaway.

I was running out of breath as I reached the 7th block from home. Pretty far. They wouldn't look for me at this distance. There's this small coffee shop, not a Starbucks but still looking fine for a stop. I walked up there.

"Can I have some hot chocolate please?" I spoke to the barista.

"Absolutely! Here, cmon let's just sit. I'll have it for you." He kindly pulled a seat for me.

"Thank you." I gave him my credit card then sat at the corner of the room, staring at the limited distance outside because raining.

"This." The barista brought a big cup of hot chocolate.

"Thank you so much." I nodded.

"Stop thanking me. Just get yourself dry. Here." He gave me a small towel and smiled genuinely.

"You're very kind." I smiled back.

"Suit yourself." He, the one I still didn't know what his name is, walked back to his station to take care of some more customers.

I adjust my trembling body to face the raining Orlando outside. Just with my phone and hot chocolate. I hate my life this much. I was born to be Rena's backup plan. Her weak body always needs support from me, like the very least, blood transfer. But please, they don't have to take my happiness as well to make me live in misery. They could just kill me and donor everything Rena needs. So hard. Even your parents don't like you.

"Why coming out against the rain?"

I looked up to check where the voice came from.

"Connor? Uhm..." I fixed my hair with a towel. "Nothing. Why you're here?"

"Why are you here?" He asked back.

"Enjoying life." I sipped my chocolate. "Want some?"

He took the cup from my hand without saying anything and sipped my chocolate. Connor's glare seriously made a hole in my both eyes. He didn't say a thing but kept making me nervous by doing that. As much as I wanted to look outside in peace, his heavy breath came into my way.

"Was it hurt?"

Connor held my hand as I tried to reach my chocolate. I was frozen in all ways possible.

"No..." I stuttered.

"Just say yes, for one freaking time, be kind to yourself."

"It...does hurt." I found it within myself that made me brave enough to see him in the eyes. "It does."

"Let me help you." Connor wrapped my body with his jacket.

"You can't...  Nobody can. It's meant to be." I shook my head.

"Nobody could ever tell me what to do. I'm helping you. Screw people who try to make me do otherwise." He deepened his voice.

I didn't answer further question, but just rested my head on his chest instead. Feels good. Feels awesome to be able to breathe normally again after a while. That even my Dad has never hugged me that way anymore since Rena got diagnosed. It's good to have a little attention that people give to you. It feels good to be a human again.

"I'm with you..." He whispered.