CHAPTER 3

“A dark beauty? I really have to see her. I won’t go to school tomorrow. I wanna see her.” Nyezi says excitedly after I have told her about my encounter with a friendly Roxanne. It’s like I told her I met a white person. She seems so excited. She even wants to skip school. But I know mom won’t let her. She will have to meet Roxanne after school.

“Skipping school for what?” mom asks entering the kitchen. We always eat supper in the kitchen at the dining table which contains 4 chairs. She sits down on one of the chairs. I sit opposite her while Nyezi dishes up.

“I met this other lady earlier on. She is here for work and will be staying at the lodge for a few months. She works for the Yakhanathi Organization and the Department of Arts and Culture. She is recruiting skilled workers to join the organization.” I say while looking at my mother. “I was telling Nyezi about her and she is very excited to meet her.”

“If she is going to be in the village for months, then you have plenty of time to meet her. There is no need for you to be dramatic and skip school.” mom says and then starts humming which basically means end of discussion. I chuckle and look at Nyezi who is pouting. She serves us food and juice. She also sits down. I say grace and we dig in.

“I might be going with my friends to Jo’burg. Also Veli said she will speak to her brother about accommodation. So I won’t be staying at a lodge. That means less costs for me.” I tell mother and she smiles.

“That’s good to know. I was really worried about you staying at a lodge. I know they are safe and all but one can never be too careful.”
“How I wish I can go with you.” Nyezi sulks and we just laugh at her.

We finish eating and mom offers to do the dishes. We just let her. We move to the lounge and tune in to Mzansi Magic just in time for Diep City. Dinner time at home is half seven to eight. So we don’t watch programmes during that time. We just gather in the kitchen, eat and catch up on the events of the day. It’s a family tradition and we are very used to it.

“I wanna be a production sound mixer.” Nyezi says out of the blue. She is looking at the TV. It’s like she is thinking out loud. “I want to pursue a career in that. I know I have the potential to make it in the industry. I also wanna go and study abroad. I know many opportunities will come my way if I am up there.” she turns to look at us with a nervous smile and turns her attention back to the television.

“Are you serious?” mom enquires. Nyezi just nods. I can tell she is nervous and she doesn’t wanna dwell on this topic because she is afraid of mother’s reaction. “Well I will call your father over for lunch or dinner when I am off and we can discuss this. I just wanna be sure if it is really what you want. You are my daughter and I want nothing but the best for you.” she jumps from her couch and snuggles with mom in the one seater couch she is sitting at. I know I would have to make myself scarce on that lunch meeting. I am a very calm and calculated person but all sense of respect flies out the window when I see him.

“I am so happy for you sis. You should definitely do research about this so that we can know which university or college you plan on going to, where you are going to stay and how long is your degree or diploma.” She smiles at me and goes back to her seat.

The rest of the evening is spent with her telling us more about what being a production sound mixer really is. She even mention big movie production companies that she would love to work with. My advice to her is that the sky is not the limit, it is only the beginning. She needs to be her own cheerleader and role model. Her own motivation. She also needs to be selfish if she wants to succeed. Meaning she has to look out for herself, especially in a foreign country.

--
“So guys this is Roxanne Maphumulo from Yakhanathi Organization. Roxanne these are my friends and partners Nombuyiselo, Sisanda, Nomthandazo and my best friend Velisani.” They all exchange hugs and greetings. Roxanne today is looking drop dead gorgeous in a blush padded shoulder high-leg cut bodysuit, a black split hem crocodile skirt and white Versace ilus sneakers. We all sit down.

“I am just going to ask you guys some questions which you can answer while doing your work.” She says and we all agree to that. “So firstly, what is the name of your business or company?”

“Izimbali Zomhlaba. That is also the name of our dance group. Siyagida. Siyawushaya no shiyameni.” Sisanda says proudly.
“Wow. I would love to see you guys dance. Do you guys enter dance competitions or be hired to perform at events?” Roxy asks.

“We do participate in some competitions. We also get hired or invited to perform at some occasions. Some ladies hire us to dance with them when they are having events like umemulo, umkhehlo, umgcagco. Especially ladies from townships.” Nombuyiselo highlights.

“How much do you guys make in your business a year?”
“It depends, but maybe R100k upwards. We sell our stuff and lend people some.” Nomthandazo answers.
“How many of you guys are there in the business and how many in the dance group?”

“There is 8 of us in the business. My younger sister Nkanyezi and two others, Langelihle and Simunye. They are still at school.” I say and she nods.
“So what is next for you guys?”
“We are headed to Jo’burg in two weeks. Azanda is actually going to do some training which will last for a week. Maybe we will join her. We will come back after two weeks.” Veli says.

“Where will you be doing this training?”
“At Masakhane.”
“I can hook you up with my siblings and you can do your training at Yakhanathi. You won’t even have to pay for it. Only if you join our organization. We will even provide accommodation for you.”

“Sounds tempting but we still have to establish whether we want to join Yakhanathi or not. Even if we do, we already have accommodation. We will just come for the training, should we agree to work with you guys. And we will also come with our own terms and conditions. You will also have to train the others who are still in school but during school holidays.” Veli says and Roxy nods.

“I hear you guys. Seems like you have a lot to discuss. I will leave you to it then.” She says taking her phone and car keys.
“You don’t have to leave. We always discuss business related things when we are together. Sit. Maybe we can teach you how to weave grass mats.” I say and she laughs.
“With these long nails? I should’ve just removed them before coming here.” we just laugh at her.

We spend the rest of the evening getting to know each other better. She is a really open person. Apparently her boyfriend dumped her when she told her about coming to the rurals for a few months. He said he couldn’t do the long distance thing. Men. While we are saying our goodbyes, Nyezi walks in the gate and comes straight to us. She is with Langelihle and Simunye.

“I am so glad we caught you.” she says coming to hug Roxy who just smiles but stares at me with a confused look. I chuckle.
“This is my little sister Nkanyezi and Langelihle and Simunye. That completes our business members. Guys this is Roxanne Maphumulo from Yakhanathi.”
“Ow we already know who she is. Nyezi has been talking about her all day long.” Simunye says eyeing Nyezi and we all laugh.

“Leave me alone wena. Anyways nice to meet you Miss Maphumulo. You look just as beautiful as my sister said.” Nyezi says and Roxy smiles.
“You can call me Roxy. Anyways I was just leaving. I had a business proposal for you guys but your sister will brief you. I hope to hear from you guys soon. I can actually see us working together.” She hands me her business card. I walk her to her car and then go back to where everyone is at.

“We are definitely going to work with her but we first have to indicate our conditions and they have to mend the contracts. They also have to know that we are very skilled in what we do. We are not amateurs.” Nombuyiselo says and we all agree. We settle down and talk business while weaving grass mats.
.
.
.
#Isigodi
#MinenhleNkosiTheAuthor