CHAPTER 58

You would think that signing on the dotted line would make things easier for you but things got tough and they were moving too fast. I had to deal with a stylist who wanted me to change my whole image. She even threatened to report me, saying I was making her job difficult, but I said no. I wasn’t going to allow her to make me a puppet. Not her, and definitely not anyone at the label. So they had to bring in Veli as my personal stylist. My best friend knew me inside out and she knew the kind of outfits I would love to rock. So they were forced to hire her.

We did a single, photo shoots and promo videos and South Africa went crazy. I was trending on most social media platforms before even releasing the single. The hype was exactly what I needed. So, before the day of the release, we shot a music video. When the single finally dropped, we hosted a huge launch party and all my siblings were there. The rents couldn’t come because it was at a night club, but they congratulated me and sent their regards. The gigs started coming in and things were crazy. But I was happy working with Sandile because he understood my sound and voice. The hype on the single hadn’t died down, especially since the music video was dropped a week ago. Hundreds of people were posting it and tagging me. I actually loved the love I was receiving from the public.

And Siza, oww that guy was my rock. He was with me most of the time and they were besties with Sandile. He made sure to be there on all late night studio sessions so that I don’t have to drive myself home or get an Uber.

After the launch of my single which is titled ‘Uzongilanda’; Lele, the rapper and Keela said they wanted to do a collaboration with me. They are very famous, so I didn’t mind. Although I was a bit skeptical since their music is exactly Nasty C’s sound. So we scheduled a studio session and we did the song. It was fire. Sandile couldn’t stop boasting about it. So today we are going to a listening party. A few of the artists have recorded singles, so we are going to listen to our single and also theirs. I think Veli is coming, well she should be coming but Zithulele is visiting, so I am not sure if they wanna spend all his time here together. By the way my brother paid lobola for the Xhosa princess last month and I was so happy for her. I stay with Siza full time because I don’t wanna stay alone in that big Buthelezi house.

“Babe, I can’t find my wallet.” Siza calls out from the lounge and I roll my eyes before taking it from the bedside table.
“How can you leave something at the bedroom and expect to find it in another room?”
“Ohh, sorry.” I hear footsteps nearing and he comes inside the bedroom. I hand him the wallet and take my ring from the vanity. I put it on and then look at my reflection in the mirror one last time.

“Do I look okay?” I ask and he steps closer to me. “Don’t touch me.” he laughs and raises his hands in surrender. He knows that once his hands land on my body, we are going to be late. I am wearing a white off shoulder mesh splicing long sleeve casual jumpsuit with brown strappy heels and a brown matching bag.
“You look perfect, my love.” he takes my bag and heads out. I follow him. We climb into his car and he drives to the studio while playing a Khuzani song. He has that bit of bhinca in him. “Do you see yourself doing a feature with a maskandi artist?”

“Of course. That would be really awesome, as long as I don’t have to make my voice shaky.” He breaks into laughter.
“You are low-key dissing some singers right now.”
“But I didn’t mention anyone’s name.”
“You didn’t have to.” I chuckle and look away.
“Can we please get a Cool Lime from Starbucks?” I plead in a tiny voice and he chuckles before driving to the franchise.

He buys my beverage and then buys a mocha Frappuccino blended beverage for himself. It’s his favourite and it is so delicious. But today I am not going to touch it because I don’t want it mistakenly spilling on my jumpsuit. We get to the studio and he parks before we head inside. We go to the lounge where most people are seated. We greet before settling down and waiting for the Ntuli family.