CHAPTER 7

When we get home, I go straight to my room and put my 6 pack in my wardrobe. I will share it with Veli tomorrow. I go inside the covers and tell Veli just how much of an interesting evening I had. She is laughing at me and telling me that we definitely should go shopping at Richards Bay with all the money Sokalisa has been depositing on my account. I just roll my eyes at her. She tells me that her mother is going there on Monday for some workshop and we should go with her. We talk about other things and then I drift into deep slumber.
--

“You’re not going to church today?” I ask my mother as I put on my heels. We always go to church on Sundays if she is not working. She is still wearing a night gown and a doek. She sits on the chair around the kitchen table and looks at me.

“No I am not going. Please pass by the garage and fill up my tank.” She says handing me her bank card. She is not my best friend but my mother, so I have no business in asking what went down last night but from the way she is, I can tell that it was intense.

“Okay. Is Nyezi ready?” I ask.
“Yes. We can go now.” Nyezi says coming in to the kitchen already dressed up. “Are we going to eat now or we will eat at town?”
“Buy something at town. I will prepare a nice Sunday lunch for when you get back.” Mom hands me her car keys. We take our bags and then head out. We climb into the car and I drive out.

“So how was the talk last night?” Nyezi asks as soon as I join the main road. I chuckle. My sister is very nosy. She just can’t help it.
“Not bad. He promised to be a better present father. I don’t wanna count my chickens before they hatch. So let’s just hope he will stick to his word.”
“Trust him sisi.” I sigh and focus on the road.

When we get to town, we start by buying 2 shwarmas with drink and eating them before we proceed to church. After church I fill up the tank and buy a few things at Shoprite. We then drive home. I frown when I see Sokalisa’s car still parked in the garage. I thought he would be gone by now. Anyways, I park behind his car and we climb off. We take the things we bought inside the house. I scream a little when I see u MaMkhize chatting with Sokalisa. I drop everything on the floor and rush to hug her. She just giggles.

“Gogo why didn’t you tell me you were coming? I would’ve left church early. Heck I wouldn’t even have gone there.” I say snuggling next to her and she laughs.
“Hello to you too MaShenge. How are you? How was your day?” she says and I laugh.

“I am sorry gogo. I am just so happy to see you here and I wasn’t expecting you.” MaMkhize is my mother’s mother. She loves at eMahlabathini. We usually visit her during the December holidays because mom usually takes her annual leave during that period. “How are you salukazi sami?” she smiles.

“I am well mzukulu. How are you MaShenge omncane?” she asks Nyezi who just comes to squeeze herself on the other side of the couch and wrap her arms around gogo.
“I am super awesome now that I have seen you. You look so beautiful Khizo.” Nyezi says and gogo chuckles.

“Ow wow. MaMkhize has made my kids abandon me. I feel so unloved right now.” Sokalisa says and in that moment we actually remember that he is in the room together with mom. We just laugh at them.
“Hello baba.” Nyezi says in her sweet voice.

“My wife and I will take a walk. See you later.” He stands up and extends his hand to mom. She also stands up and they both head out.
“Are they back together?” I ask gogo and she just laughs.
“I just got here Azoh. I should be asking you that since you live here.”

“Nyezi go and make tea for gogo.” I can see that she wants to say no but MaMkhize is not her friend. So she collects the things we came with and heads to the kitchen. “Spill gogo. I know you know something.”

“Ngifelani?” I laugh and roll my eyes at her dramatic self. “Okay fine. Your father called me and told me he wanted to see me. So I said he should come to me. He really came to eMahlabathini. He told me that he wants his family back. His family being you guys and your mother. I told him that he needed to appease to the ancestors for the way he treated your mother after Nyezi’s birth. Since you are going to Goli soon, we are going to have that ceremony after you come back and then since things are good between him and your mother, they will continue where they left off. Meaning he will do umkhehlo and umembeso for her and umgcagco will follow. But she will be treated as the third wife because she came before the last one.”

“Mom has no problem with that?”

“Yes Azoh. Your mother really loves that man and there is nothing no one can do about it. When I came here I found them giggling like teenage lovers. They are good for each other. But what we agreed upon is that your father will extend this house. Your mother won’t go and stay in the Buthelezi household but he will build a house for her there which she will stay in when there are ceremonies in the household.” I nod.

“Here is your tea gogo.” Nyezi says coming in with a tray containing a cup of tea and muffins which I baked. Gogo thanks her. “So will they be doing a white wedding?” I knew that she was eavesdropping. I just laugh and shake my head.
“They are too old for that. But they will do a traditional wedding.”
“Anyways did mom cook?” I ask taking off my heels.
“Yeah she did. Usu with ujeqe and uphuthu.” Nyezi says.

I go change into comfortable clothes and we continue catching up with gogo. I should definitely visit her. Even if it’s for a week. Then it hits me that I was supposed to go to town with Roxy. I call her to apologize and then promise to take her out on Wednesday which will be my treat. She is sulking big time but she understands. Mom and Sokalisa come back from their walk and she dishes up for everyone. We sit around the kitchen table. Well Nyezi fetches a chair for herself.

“I am going to Richards Bay tomorrow with Veli and her mother. I wanna buy some clothes for myself.” I announce to everyone.
“I will transfer money into your account after dinner.” Sokalisa says and I frown.
“I wasn’t asking for money I was just informing you guys.”

“And I also wasn’t requesting transferring you the money Azanda.” He responds. I huff and continue stuffing my face with food. “Mawami have you told them the good news?” he asks gogo who smiles.
“Of course. Nyezi asked if there will be a white wedding.” Gogo responds.
“I am too old for that.” mom says in a chilled voice. I chuckle.
“But what if I want one?” Sokalisa asks. Mom looks at him in disbelief.

“You really wanna squeeze that big belly of yours in a suit?” I choke in laughter while Nyezi giggles.
“I will join the gym but I really want a white wedding with you MaNene wami.” He says in a deep voice and you can see mom melting like butter in a microwave. I cough and gogo passes me a glass of water.

“Thank you Mumbo.” She smiles.
“So we are having a white wedding?” Nyezi asks excitedly.
“They are having one. Not you baby girl.” I say imitating her voice and she just rolls her eyes. Gogo, mom and Sokalisa just laugh at us.
.
.
.
#Isigodi
#MinenhleNkosiTheAuthor