CHAPTER 12

We get to the Mdletshe household which is at Empuqwini and there is already chaos and singing from outside. It’s really a walking distance to home for most of us who grew up here but for others the distance might be too much. I instruct Roxy to park next to Zithulele’s car and she does so. I only see two of my brothers’ cars here which means they decided to squeeze themselves into two cars. We climb out of the car and go to where they are standing, which is behind Ayabongwa’s car. I go hug all of them and they just laugh after greeting me back because they aren’t much huggers.

“Hey everyone.” Roxy says and they look at her without even blinking. Please don’t let them be attracted to her because that would cause World War III.
“MaZikode. Uyaphila kodwa?” Ayabongwa asks already stepping forward to shake her hand. The others follow suit.

“Your friend is really beautiful sisi.” Sethulo, who is almost my age, says. Yeah. That’s how much dad loves sex. Roxy just blushes and out of nowhere Nkululeko appears and wraps his arms around Roxy’s waist. Before any of my brothers can utter a word, he pulls Roxy away from us.

“Azanda care to explain?” Ayabongwa asks with his hands on his waist like a dramatic mamgobhozi.
“Care to explain about how you heard of Nkululeko courting me?” his eyes pop out. I turn to look at my other brothers who look like they just want to run away.

“MaRhadebe wami.” Zithulele says as he picks up Veli who has been standing not far away from us like a loner. He picks her up bridal style and showers her with kisses all over her face. This makes everyone turn their attention to the couple being all lovey dovey in public.

“Stop it Lele, people are watching.” Veli says giggling.
“Lele?” Zikhethele asks in an amused tone. He is the second child. Zithulele places Veli down but doesn’t let go of her. “Nobody is going to steal her.” he says laughing and my brothers all laugh. They are all wearing Brentwood with Carvela and Buthelezi customized golf t-shirts. Like always, they are carrying guns. I think they even carry them when they are going to the toilet just because they are used to them.

“Muhlezi kababa.” Sethulo says as he pulls Nyezi to where we are. She smiles and they share a hug. She also hugs the other brothers and then she goes to stand in front of Veli and Zithulele. Zithulele quickly lets go of Veli and hugs her. We all laugh at that because nobody can say no to Nyezi in our family.

“So are you and sis Veli dating?” Nyezi asks.
“What do you know about dating?” Zithulele challenges with his eyebrows raised. Well I wouldn’t wish to be Nyezi right now.
“Yeah, why are you asking your brother about dating? Is there something you wanna tell us Nkanyezi?” Zikhethele also challenges and Nyezi just blushes and goes to hide behind Sethulo. Veli and I just laugh at her.

“I like your friend though.” Somnyama says pointing at Roxy with his head who is being all lovey dovey with Nkululeko by the gate. Somnyama is the quietest brother but he has that phuma silwe beast inside him. He is always looking for fights which he always win but men nowadays avoid any arguments with him because of how violent he is. His mother is from Manzimtoti and she was just a fling, as my mother used to define it.

“Bafo vele umfazi akakhiwa esihlahleni.” Mnyamane, his twin. Well he is not his twin, it’s just that their mother had them the same year. She fell pregnant with Mnyamane while Somnyama was 2 months old.

I have so many siblings. It is not some kind of a wonder. People from the rural areas know this. Some men in our neighbourhood have up to 40 kids. Well Sokalisa has 7 sons and 8 daughters that we know of. Somnyama is called that because he is very dark, like navy dark. Well most of us are dark but his darkness is just too dark.

“Have they done Umfundelo?” I ask my brothers hoping to shift them from the Roxy talk. My friends and I would’ve came for it the whole week, it’s just that Nunns and Empuqwini, that’s where Nomzamo and her crew live in and we sort of have a beef with them.
“Yah. Ntokozo came to tell us that.” Sethulo says. “We were just waiting for you guys because bafo said you were coming.” Ntokozo is Nomzamo’s best friend.
“Let’s go in then.” I say and pull Nyezi.