CHAPTER 54

My father being the dramatic man that he is, he ordered my brothers to go slaughter a cow at home and then told me to tell my group that a celebration was going to be held at the Buthelezi household tonight. It turns out he ordered the house guards to slaughter the cow after we left and now my brothers are going to make sure it is sliced correctly and start braaing it. He actually told Siza to also come with his family. He said he is very proud of Nyezi and I. he also said he has bought presents for us and will give them to us when we get home. My father has so many cows, I don’t even know the actual number. What I know is that he always present a cow to all his children on their birthdays. I have 21 cows ekhaya elikhulu while Nyezi has 16.

We drive home but I start at MaNene’s house to bath and get changed. I put on some jeans, an oversized white shirt and sneakers. I have been given freedom to wear pants ekhaya elikhulu because of my condition. When I am done, I take mom’s car and drive to Veli’s home. She comes out of the house after a few moments and climbs in.

“You should definitely take one of Sokalisa’s cars when we go to Jozi. We can’t be depending on Ubers and being driven around all the time.” She says the moment she closes the door and I chuckle. “Are there going to be any real beverages?”

“If there aren’t, my brothers will sort us out and we will spend our time in our rondavel so that no one will disturb us.” she nods. “Are you parents coming?” she shakes her head.

“They wanted us to go spend the night at some lodge in Mthunzini but since I am going to the braai, they will take me out next week. They just left.”

“They are goals.” She chuckles. 

We arrive ekhaya elikhulu. The yard is already buzzing. We climb off the car and head to my bedroom. I drink imbiza because I can feel my legs aching. I sit down and do some breathing exercises. I take off the sneakers and socks.

“Are you okay, friend?” Veli asks with a frown. I shake my head.

“Please go find mom and tell her to bring a basin with warm water.” She nods and rushes out. I lie down on the bed and close my eyes for a few moments. I hear the door opening and I open my eyes, sitting up. I frown when I see mom walking in with Sokalisa.

“Is it that bad, ndodakazi?” he asks his voice full of concern.

“It’s not that bad, baba. My legs are just swollen and aching.”

“Take off your jeans so that I can massage you.” mom orders and I nod before taking off my jeans. She pours some salts on the basin and dips my legs inside. It stings, a lot. They both get down on their knees and actually massage me. Look at Sokalisa turning to a teddy bear because of me. Finally the ache goes away and the swelling goes down.

“I feel so much better now.” They stop what they are doing and mom wipes my legs. “When do you think this will officially go away?”

“Once we kill the person who did this to you.” Sokalisa answers with a cold tone. Mom scowls at him.

“You have to be patient, dear. You nearly died a few days back. You know the road to recovery is never an easy one, but I think in two weeks you will be feeling brand new and ready to conquer the world.” she states with a smile and I nod.

They both walk out and I put on my jeans but with sleepers this time around. I take my phone and head outside. My friends are sitting in MaWanda’s veranda and they are singing. They are at the ‘uwineleni’ stage of Jika MaJika. I go join them just in time for my brothers to bring some braaied meet with pap. They rejoice over it as we start eating. Mnyamane brings a cooler box and places it in the center. We thank him and he walks away.