Chapter Three

My body hurt. Every inch of felt as if it had been lit aflame by a candle, or even shredded by the poisonous claws of a demon. Blood dripped down my body, painting my flesh red as each breath drew agony into my lungs. But...that pain didn't compare to the suffocating weight in my chest for the loss of the one good thing in my miserable life.

Kavan was dead. He was dead, and it was all my fault. I-If only I hadn't been so needy for someone to love me...he would still be alive today. If I hadn't fallen in love with him so selfishly, he would probably be safely tucked away in his bed or doing his chores...but he was gone forever, and the pain in my chest was nearly suffocating.

I was better off with physical pain; after all, I was used to being whipped and held aloft for days on end. But the agony of losing someone you loved so deeply, and who loved you back...honestly, I felt like I was dying. Gods, I probably was, considering it had been almost a week since a guard had brought me anything to eat, and two and a half days since I had any water.

My tongue felt like sandpaper against the roof of my mouth and my arms, which were twisted high above my head, ached for being stuck in such a position for so long.

However...I could deal with this pain. I was used to pain like this. Kavan...gods I missed him. I missed his sly, contagious smile as he flirted unabashedly at me. I missed the way his deep voice soothed me in my darkest hours. I missed him so damn much, and I would give anything to get him back.

Anything.

Unfortunately...I couldn't do much given my current situation, so all I could do was play that dreadful scene over, and over in my mind. My dreams were plagued with nightmares of those cold, dead eyes staring at me, accusing me of getting him killed.

If only I wasn't Alton's so called "prized slave". Perhaps then Kavan and I could have been happy together.

I barely felt the hot tears slipping down my cheeks as my heart twisted painfully in my chest, reminding me just how miserable my life truly was. I was a slave. Slaves weren't meant to be happy, and I had always called blasphemy on such a phrase...but perhaps there was truth in that.

I couldn't play with the other children without them mocking me or throwing stones at me. I couldn't have a normal childhood without Alton placing his disgusting hands on me. I couldn't be a normal slave, with normal chores that didn't leave me feeling used and disgusting. And Kavan...gods, when I met him and began talking to him, I felt that, for once, maybe I could finally be happy.

And that was also ripped away from me.

Perhaps I was just meant to live a life in misery. Perhaps that was my punishment for being a half-breed. I wasn't allowed to be happy; I wasn't allowed to have anything for myself...I was just a body to order around.

I perked up when I heard the jingling of keys in the distance, the sound drawing closer until it stopped altogether. With all the strength I could muster, I lifted my head and stared at the guard who leered at my nude form with a sick glint in his eyes. I felt disgusting with the way he stared at me, nearly drooling as if he were a dog about to eat a steak.

I tensed when he opened my cell door, my heart hammering hard against my chest as he approached me and stared at me. I pulled away when he trailed his fingers down my cheek, and gasped when he finally unlocked the cuffs holding my arms up, causing them to limply fall as the weight of my body almost had me crash onto the floor.

The guard caught me, and for a second, I thought he was going to have his way with me, as other guards had in the past. But he surprised me when he hauled me into his arms and began taking me out of the cell.

"W-Where are you taking me?" I asked him, wincing as my voice cracked horribly.

"His Highness wants you cleaned and returned to his room," the guard spoke with an air of boredom.

He took me to a small bathing room, and all but dropped me into the tub, causing me to fumble with weak arms in order to pull myself above the water. Coughing violently, I watched as the guard snickered, as if he thought my struggling was something to laugh about.

Wishing I could glare at him, but not having the energy to, I turned and began to slowly wash away the blood and dirt, and sweat that marked my pale skin, the slashes on my back stinging painfully in reminder of what happened.

Since I didn't have that much energy in me, it took me a lot longer than normal to properly wash myself, and by the time I was done, the guard was hauling me out of the tub before dragging me down the halls, the bastard not caring that I had nothing to cover myself with.

I hated the way the nobles snickered and pointed out my nudity, and the slaves were no better when they averted their gazes and pretended nothing was amiss. The whole lot of them disgusted me, and the most I could manage, other than stumbling on my feet, was glare at whoever we passed, which caused most of them to avert their gazes.

A couple of minutes later I found myself standing in front of Alton's door, the guard readying himself before he tapped his knuckles against the polished wood. My ears straining, I could hear a couple of voices inside, before footsteps approached and the door opened, revealing Alton.

The bastard's eyes raked over my naked body, causing shame to boil within me as he stepped aside and gestured for me to enter. My eyes lowered, I did as I was told, my body protesting every move as I made my way over to the bed and stood there, not moving until I was told to.

I felt another set of eyes on me, and with a quick glance around the room, my gaze met with that of Prince Cayden. His chocolate eyes were wide, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing, before they darted over to his father, the vibrant depths growing dull as a look of indifference passed over his face.

I quickly tore my gaze away from Cayden when the door closed, Alton's footsteps like thunder as they approached the other man. "We'll discuss this at a later time. I'm afraid I have plans tonight."

Not really knowing why, I felt Cayden's eyes fall back on me, his gaze practically burning my skin. After a moment, the heat seemed to disappear with the sound of Cayden clearing his throat. "Of course, Father. Goodnight."

I listened as Cayden made his way to the bedroom door, his steps faltering for a moment before the door opened and he left, leaving me with the beast that was his father.

I was practically shaking at this point, not out of fear, but because my legs really did feel like they were going to go out at any moment. Since I had not used them for so long, I was surprised I managed to keep myself upright as Alton slowly made his way to me, like a snake stalking its meal in the tall grass.

I jolted when I felt his clammy hand on my back, his fingers tracing the many cuts that still had yet to heal and gulped when he dropped his hand to my waist, his fingers frigid and as cold as death.

"I couldn't believe it at first, when I heard you had been frolicking with another slave behind my back. In fact, I had thought you to be loyal to me. But then I saw the two of you sneaking off, and Davian," I whimpered when he grabbed my hair and forced me to look at him, "that truly upset me. My own prized possession, whoring himself out to another man."

I gulped when he stepped behind me, fingers trailing against my neck and collarbone, before settling on my shoulder, his lips against my ear. "You had to be punished, Davian. You understand that, right? I couldn't have you fraternizing with other men, not when you belong to me. The only reason I let Cayden play with you is because he's my son, and when I die, you'll belong to him."

A couple of tears slipped down my cheeks when Alton pressed a kiss against my bare shoulder, brushing his arousal against my backside. "The next time I catch you with another slave..." he licked the shell of my ear, causing me to nearly throw up, had I eaten anything, "I'll do more than give him a swift death. I'll torture him right in front of you until you can't stand to watch anymore. Hell, I'll even force you to help me cut him up. Do I make myself clear, slave?"

With a gulp, I nodded my head, causing the other man to hum in approval before he shoved me onto his bed, his eyes growing dark with lust. "Good. Now bend over and let me have you."

I let him do whatever he wanted to me...after all...I didn't really have a choice, did I? And once he was sated and asleep...I allowed myself to cry.