Chapter Thirty-Five

I laughed. I mean, what else could I do, but that? Cayden's suggestion was absolutely ludicrous and couldn't possible ever be true. I mean me, related to draconic royalty? How absurd was that?! Have the hells frozen over, or something, or was this all some whack-job dream? For the gods' sake, I was a slave; used and abused and thought of as nothing more than an object to order around and play with. Me...royalty? Ha, yeah right. The idea was so absurd, it was laughable.

Cayden frowned when I laughed, those thick brows of his pinching together as he stared at me. "Don't laugh, Davian, I'm serious. The similarities between you are too great to be coincidental."

I shook my head in disbelief, a puff of air leaving me as I regarded the other man. "So...just because I look similar to the Draconic Prince means I'm somehow related to him? Cayden, love, I know you want to think the best of me...but I'm not royalty. I'm a lowly slave-or, well, was one. I was used and abused...if I were royalty, I wouldn't have lived such a miserable life growing up." I placed my hand over his, causing him to sigh and lace our fingers together. "Besides, the draconic royal family are all purebreds, right? I'm only half-dragon. There's no way I would be related to them."

"That's not necessarily true, Cayden muttered. "From what I've learned in my studies, pureblooded dragons are no stranger to polyamorous relationships. They have their "main mate", so to speak, but they often bed other lovers to sate themselves, or their curiosities, or just to have a good time. Not to mention, the Draconic Kingdom have no ill will towards half-breeds, or even creating them. So, whose to say that King Dracon didn't impregnate some non-draconic woman?" My gaze fluttered to the side as Cayden caressed my cheek, his hand cool against my flushed skin.

"Even so, how would we know if I were the spawn of King Dracon or Prince Drakell?"

Cayden snorted and withdrew his hand. "Drakell's only in his early thirties, he would have been a mere child himself when you were born." The brunet then tilted his head, his chocolate gaze peering at me lovingly. "But seriously, though, would it be so bad to be related to them? Hell, if anything, they could even help us escape this place."

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "I...I don't know. My whole life, I have only known the struggles of slavery. To think that I could possibly be related to royalty? I-It's difficult to wrap my mind around it, especially with all that's happening at the moment."

Cayden's eyes filled with sympathy as he nodded his head, his lips pulled into a heavy frown. "Gods I can't wait until we're truly free of this place. I'm tired of running from people; I just...I just want a simple life with you." He shook his head and gave me a small smile. "In any case, once we're free, we won't have to worry about my father, or that bastard Terry, and hell, if you truly are related to Prince Drakell...perhaps he could help us leave this place. Well, if I can find him, that is."

I shook my head. "I'd rather not bring anyone else in. For all we know, he's here searching for you, or something." I sighed and nibbled at my bottom lip. "But...i-if you can't find a way for us to leave without raising suspicion....I-I suppose we could ask for his help. But that's only if he's willing to help." After such words left my mouth, my stomach decided to make itself known, causing my cheeks to burn as Cayden laughed, his eyes twinkling.

"I suppose I should get us something to eat before we leave."

I raised my brows. "You say that like you've already thought of a plan."

Cayden scrunched up his nose and scratched at his jaw. "Kind of. I'd hate to do it, but there's a merchant who leaves his cart unattended to in the ally a couple streets down. I...plan on "borrowing" it in order to transfer you. The reason I even brought up speaking with Drakell is because if that cart isn't there tonight...well, I'm just trying to come up with a backup plan in case that happens."

Even though it wasn't fully thought out, just the thought that Cayden had a semi-decent idea had my body relaxing; all the subconscious tension leaving me as I nodded my head with the smallest hint of a smile. "It's better than nothing. Thank you, Cayden. Really. I-I don't know how I would have made it this far without you. So truly, thank you."

Cayden's gaze softened and he walked back over to me; the look on his face sweet as he leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss against my lips. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, Davian," he said as he pulled away.

My heart tightened in my chest as my body warmed; my love for this man only growing the more time passed. I was incredibly happy to have him in my life now, and I was beginning to imagine what the rest of my life would be like with him by my side, and such thoughts blossomed a bead of hope and warmth within me.

Cayden kissed me a second time before he left to get us some food, and while he was gone, I began thinking about things. Like, if I really was related to Prince Drakell or not. I mean, he did seem familiar in a way that escaped me, and while I hadn't seen what he looked like from the front, his coloration was incredibly similar to mine. Even down to the shade of his horns. It was uncanny, really. But if there was even a sliver of chance that I really was related to them...then why did I live my life under Alton's thumb? Why did I live a life of suffering when I could have been living the life of luxury with people who actually cared about me? If I were royalty...why did Alton have possession of me? Did the Draconic royal family know? Did they hand me off to him as a peace treaty? Did they just not want me?

Or, did Alton snatch me away from them to keep the Draconic Kingdom in line?

I huffed and leaned my head back against my pillow, much to overwhelmed with everything that has been happening lately. I mean, I had so much on my mind right now, I was surprised my head hadn't spontaneously combusted yet. Between Alton, Terry, trying to find a place to live where Cayden and I wouldn't be found, and now the possibility of me somehow being royalty? How on earth had I not gone crazy yet? Or gods, fallen ill, even? Any sane person would have pulled their hair out by now, or ended it, if they had been put through as much as I had. Maybe I was insane. Or just used to everything in my life going wrong.

Honestly though, if anymore drama piled onto my plate, I just might shatter from the weight.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Cayden returned, holding a tray of simple, steaming food. He gave me a small smile and walked over to me. "It's not much, but it's better than nothing, at least." He said as he handed me a plate.

Taking it from him, I looked down at the small portion of grits and the three thick slices of sausage, feeling my stomach grumbling in anticipation. "Thanks," I told him as I picked up one of the sausages and took a large bite out of it. It was after I finished the first one that I noticed Cayden was still staring at me. Furrowing my brows, I regarded him curiously. "What is it? Why are you staring at me?" My cheeks pinkened and I made a move to wipe my face. "Is there grease on my face, or something?"

Cayden gave me a sweet smile and shook his head. "No, not at all." He then turned to the door -which I just now noticed was still opened-and standing in the open space was a tall man; slim, but sturdy in build, with wavy, shoulder-length black hair and two curling horns that jutted from the sides of his head. Eyes the color as blood stared back at me, and for a moment, I forgot how to speak.

"Davian," Cayden spoke, his smile growing as he gestured to the draconic man, "this is Prince Drakell."

A/N: Huhuhuhhu, they MEET! I wonder, what in the world is poor Drakell thinking? I mean, he just minding his own business when some dirty, weathered prince comes up to him and is like "Yo, you got a brother" lol (Not actually how it went down lmaooooo)

But anywho, hope you all enjoyed the chappppterrrrrr!