Chapter Forty-Nine

Our journey seemed indefinitely smoother, now that we had the sun dragon by our side. He seemed to know exactly where the guards, or slaves were, and when one would pop up out of nowhere and spot us, all he had to do was flick his wrist and would fall unconscious. Part of me wondered if, when they woke up, they would remember encountering us or if they would forget. Surely the sun dragon wouldn't allow anyone to remember seeing us...right? Not at the risk of him ruining any chance he had at reuniting with his people again.

Even if my bastard of a father was lying to him. Because let's face it—the sun dragon was valuable to him. Something with that much power was something to be utilized, and there was no way Alton would ever let him go. Not when he could aid Alton in taking over the continents.

I couldn't allow that to happen. Which was why I intended to invite the sun dragon to come with us when we brought Davian home to his family. It was a long shot for sure, but I'd rather him not be under the influence of Alton, if at all possible.

Speaking of the sun dragon, I couldn't help but notice the sweat dripping from his brow, as well as the almost inconceivable shaking of his hands. Worried, I gently tapped Drakell, silently pointing out what I had noticed.

Furrowing his brows, Drakell glanced at me for a moment before he gripped the sun dragon's bicep—causing the other dragon to jolt and whirl his attention towards us.

"Are you alright?" Drakell asked quietly, leaving me to keep an eye out for our surroundings.

"I am fine," came the other man's reply. "Let's go before you end up getting us caught—"

"You're sweating, and your hands are shaking. Is there anything you wish to tell us?"

I glanced back and saw that the sun dragon and Drakell were locked in a tense staring contest, seemingly refusing to break eye contact. Crimson on amber—both gazes heated. After a moment, though, the sun dragon broke eye contact first and turned away, brows pinched.

"I'm running out of my reserve," he spoke slowly, and softly.

Drakell and I glanced at one another in bewilderment, not knowing what the dragon meant by this. Thankfully Drakell was the one to speak up first—thick brows pinched with concern. "Reserves? What do you mean by that? Do we have to worry?"

Huffing in irritation once again, the other dragon whirled back around to face us—amber eyes burning with urgency and annoyance. "My magic. Contrary to popular belief, my kind do not have a limitless supply of magic to pull from. Each time we use it, our reserves drain like a glass of water until it either empties, or we sleep overnight. By morning, our reserves are replenished. Now enough of this idol chitchat, and lets leave before we get caught, because I'm not protecting you if someone spots us."

Drakell pursed his lips and merely nodded, before exchanging a quick glance with me.

The dragon being low on magic wasn't good...however, it wasn't detrimental, either. Yeah it was nice to have magic at our disposal, should we need it, but we could return to sneaking around and praying that we wouldn't be caught. It's not like I haven't done such a thing before. Besides, we weren't terribly far from Alton's room, now. Our biggest obstacle after we rescue Davian would be getting us all out of here.

Just the mere thought of finally having Davian in my arms again, had me quickening my pace—my palms sweating as my heart hammered in my chest with anticipation. I prayed he was alright. I prayed that Alton didn't hurt Davian for running away.

Finally, we arrived at the door, and I only waited long enough for the sun dragon to give me the "all clear" before I was rushing inside, ready to hold the man that I loved. The sun dragon pointed me in the right direction, and I ripped open the trap door and rushed in, only for my breath to vanish.