Chapter Fifty-Four (END)

Anticipation was bubbling within me as the sun crested over the horizon—illuminating the room Davian and I were currently occupying. In just a few short hours...we would finally embark on a journey that would determine our future together. A future where Davian wouldn't have to be afraid all the time. A future where we would be happy together. A life that was ours to mold, and shape.

Feeling that little buzz of relief flow through me at the thought of finally having hope for our future, I peeked over to Davian, whose face was pressed against the naked flesh of my neck—his naked body pressed tightly against mine. His skin practically glowed with the way the sun draped across his sleeping form, and I could only watch with a warm heart as Davian's lids twitched while he dreamt.

He was absolutely beautiful, and I was the man lucky enough to have had captured his heart. Sure, we had our ups in downs in our journey...but our love for one another was still strong. Hell, my fondness for him grew with each hour that passed...and each second that ticked by. I loved him dearly, and I knew he loved me as well, otherwise...why would he have stayed by my side for this long?

Feeling my heart grow heavy, I lifted a hand and gently brushed aside a few strands of raven-colored hair from his face—his pale skin warm to the touch. What was he dreaming about, I wonder? Was he dreaming about our future together? Or was he plagued with the nightmares of his past? He didn't seem to be panicking or sweating profusely as a nightmare would entail. But, then again, it was hard to tell what was going on through one's mind whilst unconscious.

I hoped he was having good dreams, though. He was too good of a person to be plagued with any kind of nightmare.

Davian twitched again, causing me to tense slightly as his lashes quivered, before opening to reveal those gorgeous ruby eyes of his. He blinked tiredly, but then smiled softly when he saw me watching him with warm eyes. "Good morning," he muttered, voice laced with sleep.

I chuckled and pressed a kiss against his lips, then his forehead. "Good morning, my love. How was your sleep? Did you have good dreams?"

Davian yawned and nuzzled closer against me. "Honestly...this is the best I've slept in a while." He fell silent for a moment, before he lifted his gaze to meet mine. "Can I admit something to you?"

Feeling curious, I raised a brow and began to idly draw my fingers up and down his arm. "Of course. You can tell me anything."

Davian nibbled at his bottom lip, seemingly thinking on how to phrase what he wanted to say. After a moment, he tightened his hold on me. "I'm...I admit, I'm rather nervous about today. About this journey that lies ahead of us. I-I've never been on a ship before, a-and I'm nervous about meeting my family...is it wrong of me to feel this way, when I've been missing from their lives for as long as I have?"

Immediately I shook my head and pressed a kiss against the corner of his lips. "Not at all, Davian. It's perfectly natural to be feeling nervous. And I believe you will enjoy being on a ship. Having the wind in your hair, with the smell of the sea around you. Plus, there isn't too many people mulling about...it's peaceful. I've been on a ship ride to the Elven kingdom when I was young, and I remember loving the journey there." I sat up, causing the blanket covering us to pool at my waist as I stared lovingly down at this man I would give the world to, if I could. "And I've already told you, your family is going to adore you."

Davian sighed and sat up as well, causing his long raven hair to spill over his milky shoulders. "I know, I know. You're right. I think I'm just overthinking about this whole ordeal."

"Which is absolutely normal," I reassured him as I pressed a kiss against his bare shoulder. "Now, on another topic...how are you feeling? Not too sore, are you?"