Chapter Twenty-One

"I don't like this. I feel as if I'm some dog, or something." Cayden complained sometime after being fitted with one of the spare collars the camp had on hand. And honestly, Cayden did have a right to complain, since I knew firsthand how uncomfortable they could be, and of course, Terry had handpicked one that just a little "too small" for the other man. So, it was also pinching the sensitive, tanned skin of Cayden's neck, which surely wasn't comfortable in the least.

"I honestly don't approve of it either, but it was the only way Terry was going to let you out of that make-shift cell thing," I told him with a frown, all while cradling a small bowl of, what looked like, stew.

Cayden scrunched up his nose in distaste as he sighed, his own bowl of food settled in his hands as well. "I'm beginning to dislike this "Terry" more and more with each hour that passes. I mean, what in the gods' names convinced him that I needed to be collared? Because I'm a pureblood? He's a pureblood too. Hell, isn't he supposedly fighting to get rid of these ridiculous things? Collaring me makes him no better than the ones who implemented the slavery laws in the first place." He then pursed his lips and sat his dinner aside before glancing at me; his chocolate gaze searching mine. "I truly think he's up to no good. I know I probably don't make any sense right now, considering that what he's trying to accomplish sounds good...I just...I don't know, something about him just rubs me the wrong way, and I can't explain why."

I nibbled at a piece of meat and swallowed before also setting my bowl aside. "I...I think I understand what you mean. Every time I'm near him...I feel as if he's peering into my soul, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I-I don't think he actually can peer into my soul, it's just...how I feel." I shifted my weight and faced him, watching him turn those chocolate-colored eyes towards me. "Maybe we're just cautious because of the circumstances that brought s here in the first place. I mean, they did intimidate us enough to have us jump off a cliff to get away."

Cayden stared at me, eyes clouded over as he analyzed what I said, before he pursed his lips and dragged a dirtied, tanned hand through his hair. "Perhaps you're right. Maybe I just have a hard time trusting new people."

"Which is entirely understandable, given your status," I tried reassuring him, a warmth spreading through me when gaze softened. Feeling a bit embarrassed, I cleared my throat awkwardly and averted my gaze, tucking a long strand of hair behind my ear. "Anyway, I'm sorry that you have to wear that uncomfortable thing."

Nibbling at my bottom lip, I gently bumped my shoulder against his, trying to be reassuring. "Well, maybe Terry will take it off once you convince him that you're really on our side. Either that or cozy up to Ira. She's the one who removed my collar."

Cayden and I looked towards the half-goliath in question, both of us witnessing her demolish the half-orc in an arm-wrestling match. Cayden scrunched up his nose, giving just the slightest shake of his head. "Yeah...I think I'll be safer if I actively avoid her. I mean, she could probably snap me in half with her pinkie finger."

I snorted in amusement. "I thought the same thing to myself about Ilikas-ah, the half-elf. Then again, I'm sure anyone in this camp could easily get the better of me. I'm practically a twig."

Cayden took a moment to look me up and down, and for some, strange reason, the action caused my cheeks to burn bright red. "Well, it's admittedly the castle cooks' fault for not providing you with sufficient food. Though, perhaps now that you're free, you can indulge yourself a little more." His cheeks then darkened. "I-I'm not saying you need to gain weight, o-or anything since y-you're beautiful the way you are! Gods," he groaned, dropping his head into his hands in embarrassment.

I chuckled. "It's alright Cayden. I actually agree with you." Cayden peeked at me through his long, tapered fingers. "I've been able to count my ribs, well, my entire life. I do want to know what it's like to not see them for once."

Cayden smiled softly and looked as if he were about to say something, however, he snapped his mouth shut and straightened up as the half-kitsune Joana approached us, her wide eyes on Cayden.

"Oh my gosh, you're so much prettier up close," she commented once she was directly in front of us, her tail flickering wildly behind her as she regarded Cayden with a curious look of awe.

The man in question blinked and furrowed his brows, looking a bit lost. "Um...thank you?"

Joana giggled, and without another word, plopped herself right on Cayden's lap, causing him to stutter and hold his hands up. For some reason, a sharp jolt of jealousy sparked through me, utterly confusing me as Joana wrapped her arms around the brunet's neck, swinging her legs back and forth as if she were a child.

"So, what was it like growing up as a prince? Is it awesome? I bet it was awesome. I mean, you practically grew up getting everything you could have ever wanted. Is your room big? Gah! What am I saying?! I bet your room is bigger than our entire camp!"

Cayden looked at me pleadingly, as if he wanted me to help him with Joana. And I did want to help. In fact, I wanted her to get the heck off of Cayden and leave and not go near him again. I had no idea why I felt that way, and I didn't want to sit there and wonder what it could mean, so instead, I cleared my throat, catching the half-kitsune's attention. "Joana, I'm sure you're excited to learn about his life and all...but perhaps you could inquire later? We've both been through quite a bit these past few days, and I'm sure he's a bit...overwhelmed with everything that's happened."

Joana pouted and looked at Cayden, before she blew a raspberry and, thank the gods, climbed off of the brunet before crossing her arms over her chest. "I guess you're right. I mean, I can be a bit much upon first impression." She then looked towards the man next to me and gave him a little wink, causing me to feel a bit...infuriated at her obvious attempts to flirt with him. "If you ever need anything, and I do mean anything at all, my tent is just right over there!" She pointed to the tent in question before she giggled and skipped away, allowing me to sigh and relax as Cayden gave me an exasperated look.

"She's...quite the character," he said, his brows raised. "Thank you for making her leave before she did anything...weird."

I nodded with a silent huff, confused as to why I had felt so jealous with their interaction. "She's definitely...unique, that's for sure. I wonder if it's a kitsune thing."

Cayden glanced at me and shrugged, before grabbing his, probably cold by now, stew. "Actually, I wouldn't really know. I don't believe I've met a kitsune before." He then smirked mischievously and leaned closer towards me, causing my heart to go wild at his proximity. "Though, you did look like you were going to explode when she sat on me. You weren't jealous, were you?"

My cheeks burned hotly at his accusation and, embarrassingly enough, I sputtered my response. "W-What? N-No I wasn't! I-I think you're losing your sight. I mean, you a-are getting up there in age, and all."

Cayden raised a brow and laughed warmly, his chocolate eyes bright. "For one, I'm only in my twenty-first year, thank you very much, and secondly, I was merely picking fun at you, Davian. You're cute when you're flustered."

Not knowing how to respond to that, I groaned and hid my red face behind my hands, embarrassment tight in my chest. He hadn't been wrong, though. When Joana began climbing all over him...the jealousy practically slapped me in the face, and I didn't know why. Why did it bother me so much? I-I didn't like Cayden like that, so why had it felt like such a crushing weight in my chest? Cayden was just a...friend to me; that much I could admit. I-I didn't like him more than that. At least...I-I couldn't. He had been rude to me my entire life, and sure, he was beginning to be nice to me now and was opening up more about his life...so I shouldn't feel jealous when someone else shows interest in him. Right?

Cayden was just a friend to me. A friend. Nothing more.

A/N: Oh snappppp, someone's getting jellyyyyyyy