Chapter Fifty-Three

Dusk came relatively quickly, and that was probably because we were finally relaxed and calmed that the time seemed to be flying by so fast. Well, that and the fact that Eric was admittedly fun company to be around. The man was hilarious and very obviously flirting with Drakell, who seemed to blush and respond awkwardly to every little wink, or sly smirk sent his way. But while he seemed shy and awkward to the other man's advances, he wasn't exactly opposed to it. Which honestly, the entire thing was hilarious to watch, considering my first impression of Drakell was this tough warrior type, not a shy, bumbling mess when he was flirted with.

And Davian also seemed to be relaxed, as the whole time we all conversed, every so often he would join in or snuggle closer to me, which sent my heart soaring with happiness to see him opening up.

Feeling that warmth blossom in my chest when Davian laughed at something Eric said, I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and pressed a kiss against Davian's head, causing him to glance at me with those gorgeous ruby-colored eyes of his. "Are you alright, Cayden?" The love of my life asked, causing me to chuckle and press another kiss against him—this time on his lips.

"I'm better than alright." I pressed a kiss against his lips once again, then turned my attention to Eric—who quickly tore his gaze away from us and pretended that he had been sipping his drink the whole time. "Actually, Eric, is there possibly a bath Davian and I can use? Both of us can use some cleaning up, especially since we've haven't had the chance in a while."

Davian peered at me curiously but didn't really object as Eric raised his raven brows. "Oh? Uh, yeah, I have a bathing chamber just down the hall. Feel free to use anything you might need." He winked at me, then turned his attention to Drakell. "That gives this cute little hunk and I some time to...catch up." He chuckled when Drakell groaned and hid his face behind his hand, and I couldn't help but laugh as well as Davian shook his head and stood up.

"I guess that's our cue, then," he said as he held a small, pale hand out towards me.

Nodding in amused agreement, I took his hand and stood up as well, turning to glance at the other flirting...friends? Couple? Friends with benefits? "Are there towels in there as well?"

Eric nodded. "Yep, anything you might need is in there."

I then thanked him and began leading Davian to the bath, briefly aware of the curious looks Davian was sending my way. Down the hall, first door on the left, was where I found the bathing room, and as we walked inside and closed the door behind us, Davian regarded me with raised brows.

"So, why the sudden need to bathe?" He wondered as he nibbled at his bottom lip.

I lifted my arm and sniffed, before scrunching up my face from the sheer stench of me. "Well, I wasn't lying when I said we kind of needed one. This man is kind enough to allow us to stay in his home, I don't want to...well, smell like a pile of trash. A-And I just wanted to spend some time with you. Not necessarily out of intimacy since w-what you've been through. I just...we can finally begin planning our future now that we finally are free. Or will be free."

Davian pursed his lips and laid his head against my chest. "Alton will still look for me, you know. As long as he draws breath, will we really be free?"

I frowned and wrapped my arms around him, hands on his waist. "Your family won't allow him to take you again, Davian. I trust in that. At the very least, you'll be heavily protected."

Davian pulled back from me and stared at me. "What about you, though? You're Alton's only son, how do you know he won't be after you as well?"

"Well, Alton's already told me how little I meant to him in the first place with how he treated me my entire life. He doesn't care about me. The only thing he even cares about is that damned crown on top of his head and how much control he has over innocent people's lives."