Chapter Eight

That night...I dreampt of Kavan. In the dream-or, well, memory-we were cuddling amongst some bale of hay in the dead of night, the only sound being that of a million crickets playing their nocturnal symphony. I was laying there, with my head on Kavan's chest, listening to the comforting thump-thump of his heart as I relished the comforting warmth of him, feeling safe. I loathed the idea of moving away from him, but I felt him shift, and curiosity had me glancing at him from my perch on him. He was looking back down at me with absolute adoration, and for a moment, I was enraptured by those jade eyes of his.

The longer he stared at me like that, the shyer I got until my face warmed, and I averted my gaze. "Why are you staring at me so intensely, Kavan," I wondered as I nibbled at my bottom lip, idly messing with the ties of his simple shirt.

Without missing a beat, Kavan placed a gentle hand under my chin and lifted my face towards his, a sweet smile on those perfect plush lips of his. "Because you are beautiful, Davian."

My blush darkened in response to his answer, my heart racing in my chest. "I-I am relatively average, in my opinion...:"

"Well in my opinion, your beauty rivels that of a clear night sky." Kavan than tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear as I stared up at him, feeling warmth spread within my chest. I couldn't even begin to describe the immense feeling of love that poured through me for this man, only that its intensity brought forth a wave of bravery as I lifted my head from the warmth of his chest and kissed him.

I loved kissing Kavan. His lips were the perfect balance of soft and warm, and when his tongue brushed past my willingly parting lips...I always thought it strange that he tasted so sweet when the man in question hated anything with too much sugar. I never questioned it, though, because...well, I was a selfish man and, in a world, where nothing was really mine...this I would indulge in.

The kiss was starting to get a little heated when suddenly...

I was harshly yanked back in reality by someone dragging me out of bed by my hair. Waking suddenly and gasping in pain, I finally opened my eyes to see who had a death grip on me...only for all the blood in my body to run cold at the familiar, sneering face of none other than King Alton. I only then noticed how...bright the room was, filled with sunlight, and after a moment, I realized in horror that I had...I had slept in. I-I never slept in! The last time I slept in, I was ten and I was beaten and thrown in the dungeons for two days. I made sure I was always up before the crack of dawn to begin my chores and yet, for some reason...I slept in.

"Y-Your H-Highness," I stammered, whimpering when Alton harshly yanked my hair back, causing a cry of pain to fall past my lips, "I-I-I am so sorry. I-I beg of you, I-I didn't mean to sleep in-agh!" I cried out when the back of Alton's hand slammed across the side of my face, effectively knocking me to the floor. It was then that I noticed the second pair of legs that reflexively took a step towards me, and, following the legs, my gaze lifted until I saw the familiar face of Cayden, his hand held up towards his father.

"Father, there is no need to be so rough with him-"

Alton's searing gaze snapped towards his son. "You dare tell me how to treat my slave?!"

Cayden flinched at the older man's tone and immediately shook his head, his dark eyes darting down towards me for the briefest of seconds. "N-No, father, I assure you, I'm not. It's just...it's my fault the slave woke so late. I thoroughly wore him out last night a-and I have no doubt he was just recovering his energy so that he may preform efficiently today. If anyone is to be yelled at, it should be me. The slave was merely doing as he was told."