My Sister's Ex(14)

"So who were texting?" I asked to change the subject. Taya sighed.

"Chris, but he's not answering. Did he say anything to you at work last night?" I tensed up.

"Nope, nothing." I said quickly.

"You sure?"

"Trust me, I'm positive."

******************************************************

The rest of the car ride between Taya and I was silent. She tried to coax me into conversation several times, but I was so unanimated that she finally gave up. We drove the rest of the way with nothing but the radio for sound.

As soon as pulled in the driveway I threw open the door and ran to the house. As soon as I entered our giant foyer I threw down my backpack and kicked off my shoes and ran to the stairs. I was about halfway up when she called up to me.

“What’s your problem?” She asked from the foot of the stairs.

I stopped dead in my tracks, but didn’t turn around.

“We used to hang out all the time Melly, just you and me. You’re my best friend.” Her voice broke a little at the end.

I felt my shoulders deflate. I felt my heart drop into my stomach. I felt a lump rise in my throat. All these were signs of my insane guilt.

She was right; we are best friends. As much as I loved Johnny, Taya was the one I went to with all my trusted secrets. The one I called when I really needed someone to talk to. The one I loved with all my heart. I wasn’t being fair to her at all. I wasn’t being fair about dating her ex, and I certainly wasn’t being fair by not telling her about it. I then knew what I had to do. I turned to face her.

“Nothing,” I managed to choke out. “I’m just tired. Between work and school, it’s a lot."

She smiled a bit.

“Okay, how about we do a girls night. We can watch movies and get pizza.”

I shifted from one foot to another. I wasn’t sure I could be alone with her until I fixed everything between us.

“I don’t know, Taya. It’s a school night; I have homework…” I could see her smile deflating with every word I said. I sighed. “Okay, give me ‘til 6:30 to take care of a few things.”

Her smile widened immediately.

“Yeah!” She clapped her hands together. “I’m gonna take care of a few things myself, then order the pizza, and pick up a movie for us to watch. Any requests?”

I smiled and shook my head. She smiled back before heading to the door. I watched her go before heading upstairs.

~

“Wow,” Johnny said after I told him everything. “So you’re gonna break up with that hot piece of ass. Just wow, you really love your sister, huh?”

I let out a breath and looked over my half-assed attempt at my math homework, before granting it good enough to get me credit and shoving it in my backpack.

“Of course I love her, Johnny. She means the word to me. She’s my sister.”

“Ouch,” Johnny responded from the other side of the phone, “I mean I know we’re not related or anything, but still…” I rolled my eyes.

“It’s not the same and you know it.” I retorted.

“Yeah I know. I was just joking. So how are you gonna do this, just call him?”