The Letter

Edited 1/2/18

It has been a year since Jack's death but Alex never really healed from the trauma of her being gone. It was nice of London to have sent him to live with Sabina and her parents but he was never the same. He always did good in school, getting A's in all of his classes but he had really no friends but the ones from London. He keeps in touched with Tom since he was his only best friend in the world. Other than when he talked to Tom he was silent. Sabina was getting really bored with him. She thought it would be great for him to be her brother but when she saw his eyes that all went away. Today was the exact one year of Jackie's death and Sabina had an idea to help Alex out.

"Alex gets your butt down here or we will be late for school." His eyes slowly opened with him in his bed. He got up bare-chested showing his scars. Some he wishes he never saw the sniper wound close to his heart and some from Cairo. He headed to the shower with a pair of blue jeans and a simple blue t-shirt. Once he got out of the shower Sabina shouted at him. "Alex hurry up."

"I'm coming." That was really the first time in months he has talked to her. She had a feeling today was going to be different. "Sabina stop rushing me." He walked down the stairs of their two-story house that they had gotten when they first moved here from London. Sabina's father got a full-time job writing stories for San Francisco news and since his book was a big hit, they live pretty well.

"Alex. How you doing today. I know you have been down for a while and I have a fun idea today." She had her big eyes that Alex never could resist. He had feelings for her but it was more of a sister-brother feeling now. Alex looked at her and remembered what today was and he knew she was trying to make him feel better.

"I don't really feel up to it today Sabina. I really want to be alone." He ate some cereal and left for school with time to spare to do some studying before US History class. He was an official citizen but he really did not know a lot about the country only rumors and what the CIA had done to him. He was sitting outside today since it was nice out. He had his big textbook out reading about WWII. A girl came up to him and sat across from him.

"Hi. You new around here. I have never seen such a cute boy like you before." He has been there for almost a full school year. He wanted to ignore her but she keeps looking for answers. He looked at her eyes saying that he was hot, not cute.

"I have been here for almost a year now." He still had a British accent. The bell ring and he got up and left her alone at the table. The day went by quickly. He had lunch by himself as normal and at the end of the day he meets up with Sabina.

"Okay, Alex lets go do something fun." She grabbed his hand and dragged him down the street to the mall. Alex rolled his eyes. He hated shopping with Sabina. She took forever to pick out one dress which takes like an hour. Add more dresses or even outfits it takes longer than two hours. But she is taking him to a small restaurant and there was the girl that had talked to him earlier that day.

"No Sabina. I am not going through with this." He got his hand out of her grip easy enough and left the mall. He took a cab home and there was real mail for him on the counter. It was from London. He opened it and it was a letter from some of his old friends and it said that he needed to come to London and there was a ticket waiting for him. Sabina comes in and saw what was in his hands and she frowned.

"Alex, what is it?" He ran upstairs and never came down. Sabina was worried he was not going to eat tonight. Sometimes he never ate and he was already thin from all the torture he went through. She made him a small sandwich and went to his room. She knocked on the door.

"Alex. You need to eat something. Please, Alex." He opened the door. She walked into his really clean room and sat the plate on his desk. Ales just sat on his bed holding a picture of his housekeeper, Jackie.

"Sabina?" She sat beside him on his bed.

"Yes, Alex. Is something wrong?" He faced Sabina. He really wanted to let out his emotions but he had to stay strong or something might happen to her.

"I am going back to London for a while." She was shocked. She knew Alex would probably never had said that. He did and she was speechless. "It's only going to be for a while It's nothing bad, I promise." She felt a tear go down her cheek.

"For how long?" She wiped the tear from her cheek.

"They said a week or a mouth." She nodded and gave him a hug.

"Don't die please." He hugged her back and he had the letter to his side with the picture of Jackie.

"I promise." She started to cry and he rubs her back trying to soothe her and it was not working. She knew that he probably will die if he went back but she did not say anything to him about that. They sat there for a while. All he had to do was get to the airport.