viii. mash-up

―

HUNTER GAVE FINN A small smile, as he entered the Choir Room, seeing Quinn wiping the slushy off of the Quarterback's face.

"You too, huh?" He asked, as Quinn chucked a spare rag at him and Brittany assisted the boy with cleaning up.

"Okay, guys," Mr. Schue said, as he entered the room, holding sheet music, "We're a little behind for sectionals, thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour. But you guys seem to really enjoy doing mash-ups, right? And I'm gonna keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things are so different, they don't feel like they go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great. Like... chocolate and bacon."

"Or Glee Club and football." Finn commented.

"Exactly. But you've proven that it is a great combination," Mr. Schue nodded, as he began ti hand out sheet music, "So... here is my personal favourite song. And your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it."

Hunter raised an eyebrow, a smile creeping on his face, "Bust a Move?"

"Yeah, this song is old school." Mercedes told the teacher.

"All right. Um, Artie."

"Yeah?"

"Try to follow along on the bass," Mr. Schue told him, "Finn, take us through it."

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester," Finn shook his head, "I got corn syrup in my eye."

"Okay. Uh, Puck. How about it?" The man asked.

"I don't really groove on Young MC." Puck shrugged.

"I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now." Rachel said from her spot next to Puck."

"It's okay, Rachel. I guess I'm gonna have to show these guys how it's done." Mr. Schue shrugged.

"Uh, actually, Mr. Schue," Hunter spoke up, "I'd like to take this one if you don't mind. I also love this song."

The rest of the club smiled, hyping him up.

Mr. Schue let out a laugh, "Go for it."

Hunter grinned, "Bust it!"

[ bust a move, sung by hunter, with the new directions ]

After another dramatic week of Glee Club, with Coach Tanaka making the football guys choose between the sport and Glee, Hunter was happy to finally be back spending time with his mother.

"So it's all good now, though, right?" Elizabeth asked, as she and Hunter were playing snap.

"Yeah, all the football players are back in both Glee and football," Hunter nodded, "Well, apart from Kurt who has dramatically resigned from the football team. In the showers."

"Oh, that was a bad decision," Elizabeth chuckled, her son joining her, "And what about Katie?"

Hunter blushed, "What about Katie?"

"Well, she and Glee Club are most of what you talk about," The woman smirked, "So, we've talked about Glee Club. Now Katie."

A smile played on the boy's lips, "Yeah. She, uh, she's good."

"And why're you smiling like that?"

"Oh, shut up." Hunter chuckled.

Entering his wife's room, Jonathan smiled at the sight of Hunter asleep, hunched over Elizabeth's bed, as she gently stroked his hair.

"Hey," Elizabeth smiled at the man, "He's been asleep for an hour now."

"That boy can sleep anywhere." Jonathan chuckled, kissing his wife on the forehead, before sitting on the other side of Elizabeth's bed and taking her petite hand in his own.

"How're you doing?" She asked him.

"Okay," Jonathan nodded slightly, squeezing her hand, "That wasn't at all believable, was it?"

Elizabeth gave him a small smile, "No."

"I'm so scared, Ellie." Jonathan whispered, starting to tear up.

"Me too, John." The woman admitted, as they cried together.

Meanwhile, Hunter kept his head on his mother's lap, quietly trying to keep his own tears at bay.