xxiii. auditions

A HEAVY SIGH LEFT Hunter Larklee's lips as he entered William McKinley High School, his hands clutching onto his backpack straps, his head kept low as he started to navigate his way towards his locker, hoping to be uninterrupted.

But of course, life had other plans.

"Hunter Larklee," The voice of Jacob Ben Israel said, the boy having a camera and a microphone shoved into his face, "Would you like to comment on the rumours that you quit Glee Club - and singing all together - because the recent death of your mother has made you too depressed to function?"

"Get out of my way, Jacob." Hunter muttered, trying to push past the boy and the camera crew, only to be blocked.

"Or how about the fact that now Quinn Fabray is no longer pregnant with her bastard child, you now see an opportunity to take now that Puckerman's out of the picture?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Hunter cried, gaining the attention of some other students in the hallway, "One, Quinn is my best friend. Two, I have a girlfriend. And three get the hell out of my way." He seethed, pushing past JBI and his camera crew and speed walking through the corridors, only slowing down when he saw the Glee club filing into the choir room.

The boy sighed, watching his friends with a frown, when a hand lightly touched his back.

"Hey." Katie said quietly.

"Hey." Hunter managed to give his girlfriend a small smile.

"You okay?" She asked, following his gaze to the choir room.

"Not really." He shook his head.

"I'm proud of you for coming in today." Katie said, taking the older boy's hand in his own.

"Thanks," Hunter said, "I really need to thank you for this Summer. And Quinn, too."

"You don't need to thank anyone for anything," Katie told him, "We both care about you. We'll always be here."

Hunter nodded, "I know."

"Are you coming to the cafeteria for lunch?" Katie asked.

"Actually, I kinda wanted to do something by myself, if that's okay?" Hunter said.

"That's okay," Katie nodded with a smile as she squeezed his hand, "I'll see you in the library after school, okay?"

"Okay." Hunter said, gently kissing her cheek before turning on his heel and walking away.

Katie sighed as she watched him turn the corner, out of the corridor with a frown as a pair of footsteps joined her side, "He's doing a lot better." She noted.