xxii. journey to regionals

THE GLEE CLUB SAT in Mr. Schuester's living room, clouded in dead silence.

Sue Sylvester was to be a judge at Regionals, meaning Glee Club was over.

"No one wants any pizza?" Mr. Schue asked as he entered the living room with Quinn, the blonde girl placing the paper plates and napkins on the coffee table before settling down on Hunter's lap, "Alright, well, uh, let's get started. Thank you for coming to the first annual New Directions' Regionals' set list nominations party."

"What's the point, Mr. Shue?" Artie shrugged solemnly, "Coach Sylvester's one of the judges. She's gonna crush us."

Mr. Schuester sighed, "Artie, you don't know that."

"Yes, we do," Santana nodded with a frown, "She told us at Cheerios practice."

"Yeah, she said, 'I'm going to crush Glee Club'." Brittany agreed.

"A whole freaking year. All that hard work for nothing." Puck said through gritted teeth.

Tina then burst into tears, making Hunter reach over and squeeze her hand in comfort, "I'm sorry," The girl sobbed, "I just really love you guys. You know how many Facebook friends I had before I joined Glee Club? Two. My parents. Rachel was right. Being a part of something special– it made me special. I just can't believe it's going to be over in a week."

Finn sat up quickly, "Wait. Who says it's going to be over?"

"Please," Mercedes rolled her eyes, "You think Puck and Santana are going to even acknowledge my existence once we're not in Glee Club together anymore?"

"She has a point." Puck nodded.

"Mr. Schuester?" Rachel asked, sniffling as her voice broke, "Do you think instead of nominating songs, we can just... all go around the room and talk about things that we loved about Glee Club this year?"

The Glee club sat in the choir room, waiting for their lesson to start when Finn and Rachel walked in.

"Mr. Schuester, Finn and I have something we want to say to you." Rachel told him.

"Me first. Have a seat," Mr. Schuester said, the pair complying. Mr. Schue studied his students with a smile, "Nine months ago, there were five of you in here. And we sucked. I mean, we really sucked. Bad. One day, all of you are going to be gone. And all of this, all of us will be nothing but a hazy memory. It will take you a second to remember everyone's name. Someone will have to remind you of the songs we sung, the solos you got or didn't get. Life only really has one beginning and one end, and the rest is just a whole lot of middle. And I love you guys too much to let you not make the most of it. Now, I was going to quit once, but you guys brought me back with 'Don't Stop Believing'. It was a nine, but we are going to make it a ten."