One

I staggered into the open pasture.

My long, shakey brown legs weak from a combination of exhaustion and hunger.

A larger horse noticed me, a buckskin mare. She had been grazing when she noticed me. She raised her head and trotted over to me.

"Are you alright?" She asked, nosing at my neck.

I didn't reply, I was so tired...

I heard some sort of machinery drive over to us a few moments later. It got louder as it got closer.

I tried to get up to flee as it got closer. I was unable to get very far without falling.

"It's okay, it's just the master," the mare told me, darting in front of me. She was concerned.

The machine appeared in my peripheral. It was smaller than the mare, but not by much. It was also bright red.

"Woah there now, where'd you come from little one?" I heard a man say as I flopped back on the grass.

I felt the man pick me up around the body, leaving my legs dangling in the air. I tried to move my neck, legs, head, anything to escape.

"Easy there! You're gonna hurt yourself," the man exclaimed.

I ignored him and continued until I knew it was useless.

I lowered my head in a defeated way as the older man climbed onto the unfamiliar machine, putting me over the seat in front of him, splayed out over the seat with my legs dangling once again.

He started to drive towards a red barn in the distance.