Nineteen

School started a week after Christmas.

Bruce had insisted on being the one to bring me to my first day of school.

The car slowly rolled to a stop in front of the school.

It was a red brick building. There were other kids walking into the building.

"Okay, do you have your schedule?" Bruce asked me, turning to face me.

"Yes, for the fifth time this morning," I said, holding up said piece of paper and waving it at him. "And I took a picture of it," I added for good measure.

"Okay, okay, just call if you need any help, and I'll be here to pick you up after school," Bruce informed me before adding, "Behave and stay safe,".

I nodded before opening up the car door, "I will," I told him as I grabbed my backpack, heading off to follow the sea of students heading into the school.
.
.
.
The sea of students flooded into a courtyard behind the school. It was... strange to observe.

Everyone had seemingly segregated themselves into various groups. A group of people in one corner reading. A group of kids in another corner with their binders open, sharing and reviewing notes. A group of kids trying (and in my opinion failing) to apply makeup. There were quite a few other groups too.

They all appeared to know each other well and knew which group the belonged in.

I, however, knew no one and did not see where exactly I belonged.

I wandered over to an area off to the side against the wall of the school, away from all the groups.

I sat down in the dirt, crossing my legs and draping my backpack over my lap as I reviewed my schedule.

First Period: Science: Mister Charles
Second Period: English: Miss Johnson
Third Period: English: Miss Johnson
Fourth Period: Art: Miss Baker
Lunch
Fifth Period: Math: Mister Gordon
Sixth Period: Social Studies: Mister Myers
Seventh Period: Gym: Misses Collins

A shadow appeared over my paper.

"Hi! Are you new here?" The shadow asked.

I looked up, there were two boys. One with black hair and one with brown hair. The one with black hair was tanner, a bit more heavy set than the pale brown haired boy.

I nodded my head, eying up the pair.

"Do you need any help getting to your classes?" The one with brown hair asked, motioning towards my schedule.

"If you do not mind," I told him, handing him the paper.

"Where are you from? I like your accent," The one with black hair asked.

"Sokovia," I informed them, the pairs' eyes widened and the brown haired one shot the other a glare.

"Oh, uhm, I'm sorry?" The one with black hair offered.

I elected to ignore continuing that conversation.

The brown haired one did as well, "You actually have a lot of the same classes as me... Actually the only class we don't have together is art, I'm in robotics. I can show you to all of your classes if you don't mind," he offered, handing me back my schedule.

"I think I would... appreciate that," I told him as the bell rang.